BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

5.19.2009

Club Sandwich

Club Sandwich

What makes a sandwich a Club Sandwich? I ask because many times I see a Club Sandwich on the menu at a restaurant and what arrives on my plate varies. My research (wiki) defines the club as:
"A club sandwich is a "double-decker" sandwich with two layers of fillings between 3 slices of bread. It is often cut into quarters and held together by cocktail sticks. The traditional club ingredients are turkey on the bottom layer, and bacon, lettuce, and tomato on the top."

History of the Club Sandwich defines the club as:
"The Club Sandwich is a sandwich with cooked chicken breast and bacon, along with juicy ripe tomatoes and crisp lettuce layered between two or three slices of toasted bread with mayonnaise."

On an earlier post I ask myself what constitutes a club sandwich vs a regular sandwich to which I answered:
"In my opinion a club sandwich should have three slices of buttered toast, cut into quarters, and contain chicken or turkey, ham or bacon, crispy lettuce, juicy tomatoes (which I usually leave off as it can make a mess of things), and mayo."
So basically a Club Sandwich can simply be a turkey and bacon with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Lame. When you put Club Sandwich on the menu, I think the standard should be three slices of buttered toast and cut into quarters at a minimum. The rest of the options are yours to play with.

I bring all this up due to my recent visit to McKay Cottage. I selected the Three Sisters Club from the lunch menu with fries. Three Sisters Club - Avocado, oven roasted turkey, applewood bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato, layered between slices of grilled foccacia $9.75


For a turkey and bacon sandwich, it was very good. Excellent bacon, the avocado was ripe and plentiful, and the foccacia was light and fluffy.

My favorite Club Sandwich in Bend is from Krista's at Widgi Creek. The club served at Krista's is on three slices of buttered toast with smoked chicken, ham, American and Gruyère cheese, red onion, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, mayo, and of course bacon. THATS what I'm talking 'bout!!! (The Wife loves when people/athletes yell that line)


The Downtowner also serves up a mean club sandwich. Turkey, ham, smoked Gouda, bacon, and the rest. I recommend getting your house style which means they put on some of Mom's homemade mustard. A secret recipe that resembles Hickory Farms Sweet Hot mustard.

Tony's Deli makes a decent Italian Club - turkey, pancetta, tomato, avocado, pesto, romaine, mozzarella and mayo on sourdough. Very fresh and bright, clean flavors. I thought the pancetta instead of bacon was a great change of pace as well as the pesto. It was a very good club for being Italian. BUT, don't get the club sandwich at Tony's, get the Cheesesteak, best in Bend!

Bo Restobar had a good King Crab Club which consists of crab cakes, bacon, avocado, and lettuce on toasted egg bread. This bad boy was a killer club and followed most of the traditional requirements that I enjoy (aside from the crab cake).

Pita Pit is ass. There was barely any meat at all in that huge ass pita. It was about one deli slice of ham, a slice of turkey, and two McDonalds thin slices of "real" bacon. Real thin bacon is more accurate. With all the bread and veggies, I could barely taste the meat.

Applebee's = yuk face. Remember the green yuk face stickers? I'd put one on Applebee's if I could.

My favorite comment from lunch came as we were getting up from the table and my friend says (and I know this isn't a topic to make jokes about but it summed up lunch perfectly in my mind) "I wish I was bulimic".

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

7What? Got something to say?

Blogger Heather said...

Hey BOR, I like your map that you have going at the bottom of your page. It should probably be updated as some of those places are no longer in business.

May 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when club sandwiches cut up the top of your mouth because they are too toasted.

Did you ever have this experience at the places you tried? I love the Downtowner club, but it left my mouth sore for days.

May 19, 2009  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Heather, would you like to volunteer to update it? I could use the help.

Write gal - "but it left my mouth sore for days" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

May 19, 2009  
Blogger Liz said...

For me, a sandwich shop is defined by its club sandwich. I really like the Downtowners version. Last time I went to Tony's, I had the cheesesteak, but next time I might try the club.

May 20, 2009  
Blogger Serial Monogamist said...

Oh SNAP Write Gal!

But yes. Club sandwiches and cap'n crunch both leave my mouth tore UP.

May 21, 2009  
Blogger Zineeta said...

I have to agree, I'm not much for toasted because it does hurt. I like to ask if they can just touch toast it (when it's cold out).

As for club sandwiches - they don't always have to be cut up, I think they do that so that it seems like your getting more. My fav. place for sandwiches is in the cafe at the COCC boyle center. Great price and everything to order the way you want it, I love it.

May 30, 2009  
Anonymous Barry Kraft said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I love club sandwich. club sandwich was made with turkey, but now it is, as you described, two layers of sandwich separated by an extra slice of bread. I never would have thought of this in a hundred years. You are so clever; this is a terrific way to make good use of little bites. my son loved club sandwich. Your picture made me hungry! now I can't wait to try it.

September 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home