BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

5.05.2009

Sparrow Bakery

Sparrow Bakery

A friend of mine has been dying to try the Sparrow Bakery. He wanted to go so bad he even tried to schedule via outlook. I had a short opportunity to grab a quick bite and we met up over at the bakery. I wasn't going to publish this review until I tried the Ocean Roll that EVERYONE keeps telling me to get. But @cassondra on Twitter said I should go with my rebellious insticts and I agree. You can't tell me what to do. Ocean Roll or not, I'm writing. (btw, if you're not following me on twitter, you're missing out on some great stuff...I'm sort of a big deal - follow me!)

The super friendly staff welcomed me and answered any questions I had. Even went outside to bring in another table for me as there were not any seats available in the tiny seating area. That's rockstar status. They see a guy like me and bring in a table all Goodfellas style.

There were some great choices on the small menu that I really want to try. Like the cheese covered ham sandwich in the case that was waiting to be toasted in the oven. I forgot what it was called but I'm getting this sucker the next time I go. I opted for the poached egg croissant sandwich with avocado, bacon, and arugula aioli.


The ingredients were just amazing. This poached egg was one of the best I've seen. It was like a mozzarella ball, beautiful. I've been trying to master my poached eggs at home and am having the toughest time with it. If you have ideas on how to do them perfectly, please let me know.

The bacon was thick, perfectly cooked, and just the right amount of pepper. Lovely.

I tried to actually eat this like a sandwich but when the yolk exploded all over my FACE, I opted for the knife and fork. Eating a sandwich with a knife and fork isn't very manly. I felt like I was eating a watercress sandwich and sipping tea at The Finer Thing's Club. It was a mighty fine sandwich BUT it was also $8. I don't know why this price seemed high for me. Maybe cause it was rather small. I left still hungry.

I also grabbed one of their espresso eclairs for The Wife. Like coffee and a donut all in one. Two of her favorite things. I never got a bite but it smelled great.



Sparrow Bakery
50 SE Scott St
Bend, Oregon 97702
United States

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

9What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they open on weekends?

May 05, 2009  
Blogger mrscamacho said...

We are avid fans of the Sparrow!

My favorite thing is their carrot cake - HUGE slice with no cream cheese frosting adulterating its rich, moist goodness. And those little chocolate not-cupcakes (called something in French) with a tiny sprinkling of sea salt on top.

We actually chose our car repair shop based on its proximity to the Sparrow. My husband walks down from The Happy Danes (they're awesome in addition to convenient to the Sparrow!) and enjoys a coffee while he waits for our car!

May 05, 2009  
Anonymous monkeyinabox said...

I know I've ragged on you in the past for poor food photos, so if you took the first one, KUDOS! Amazing shot.

May 05, 2009  
Blogger Stefanie said...

Monkey's right - that first shot is a beaut - just yells "Yum-ay".

PS - that Ocean roll with the cardamom is quite tasty - a devastating game breaker if your trying to watch the calories.

May 05, 2009  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

LOL @monkeyinabox.

My first thought was, "Wow, great shot. Who took it?" :)

May 05, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the cheese covered ham sammie is the "croque monsieur". It was in the Bulletin last week.

May 06, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To get your poached eggs to hold firm, add vinegar to the water. The acid in the vinegar makes the egg whites bind so they don't disperse in the water. Works every time!

May 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading this post i went down to sparrow for lunch...ordered the chicken waldorf sandwich croissant. While it was good, $7.25 for a sandwich that is small and comes with nothing is too much money! I am still hungry!

June 09, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ocean Roll (actually a French morning bun) is INCOMPARABLE. Word to the wise: if you can't get to The Sparrow (closed on Sundays!), Townshend's Tea right across from my gallery, River Bend Fine Art, carries them . . .

June 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home