BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

9.05.2008

Pita Pit - Bend Oregon

Pita Pit

I'm not sure if it matters what I say about the Pita Pit or not, that place has customers all the time. I don't care for it but the wife and my friends seem to like the Pita Pit a lot.

To me, there is not a big difference between the Pita Pit and Subway sandwiches. Dave enjoys the Pit and does a good job of describing how they make the Pita's:

"They open up the pita pocket (a large one) and split the top half into two flaps. Then they stuff the bottom half with your order, tuck in one flap and fold the other flap over, so it's like a burrito with pita bread instead of tortilla."

I found that this process is very smart. Whenever I've had a pita in the past, I've always cut the thing in pita in half and then made two "tacos" out of the halves. How stupid am I?

With the cool wrap technique aside, Pita Pit is a glorified Subway and sub-par Steak Escape. They take your order and one Pit Person starts stuffing your pita with your Subway style toppings. Pretty much the same exact assortment of ingredients aside from the veggie options like Falafel, Hummus, Babaganoush, and Feta. The veggie options are great if you like that sort of thing, but honestly, go over to Kebaba for all that jazz.

While the one pit person is stuffing your pita, another is working the grill warming up your meat. All the meat is already cooked, they just warm it up. So the grill seems almost pointless. A microwave could do the same feat in a fraction of the time but I understand that it is more visually appealing. Even if it makes the shop hot as balls. Seriously, hot as balls.

On my first visit I asked for the Club. Ham, chicken, and "real bacon." There was barely any meat at all in that huge ass pita. It was about one deli slice of ham, a few chunks of chicken, and two McDonalds thin slices of "real" bacon. Real thin bacon is more accurate. With all the bread and veggies, I could barely taste the meat.

Second visit I went with a friend's recommendation and ordered the chicken Caesar that also comes with "real bacon." It was a little better but still not really that great.

The price is right and the hours are awesome. I'll go on record and say that the Pita Pit is the Best Restaurant in Bend Opened After 2am. If I'm stumbling around downtown that late, I'll definitely go to the Pita Pit and think that it is the best meal in town. I also think that my microwaved nachos that I make with the late night munchies are the best ever...cause I'm drunk.

For a sober lunch/snack/dinner, the Pita Pit is not for me. Now, if you like a ton of prepacked, prewashed, veggies stuffed into a cleverly wrapped pita, then you're going to be in heaven.

I'd rather go to the Downtowner or the Speedshop for a sandwich downtown. That is until I'm trashed and starving, then you rock my world Pita Pit!

Pita Pit
Bend, OR
806 NW Brooks Street
Bend, OR 97701
(541) 389-7482
http://www.pitapitusa.com/

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

2What? Got something to say?

Blogger Serial Monogamist said...

No real difference between pita pit and subway? How about the fact that subway's sauces don't taste like vomit?

That place is Guh-Ross.

September 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mean the pita pits sauces don't taste like vomit?

I just ate there a couple of days ago and thoroughly enjoyed my gyro pita, with tzatziki sauce romaine and feta.
it was very good and the tzatziki was the best I have had

September 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home