BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

1.21.2008

Decoy Bar and Grill - Bend Oregon

Decoy Bar and Grill - Bend Oregon

It is not difficult to convince me to try out a new bar and grill and The Decoy (pronounce 'di quah' jokingly amongst my friends) is just that. I was able to join the power lunch crowd recently to check out the The Decoy. I felt a little under dressed as tables around me seemed to be wheeling and dealing with their stocks and bonds and yields, buy / sell, hooplah. I might have been the only person there without a tie.

The Decoy is a nice bar with an elaborate and sort of spendy menu. I looked over the dishes and ended up settling for one of the least expensive items, the Turkey Club for $9. That plus my $8 drink and I was already breaking the $20 mark (including tip).

When my "club" arrived I was sort of confused. What does this look like to you:


To me, it looks like a turkey sandwich with bacon. So then I started thinking about what constitutes a club sandwich vs a regular sandwich. In my opinion a club sandwich should have three slices of buttered toast, cut into quarters, and contain chicken or turkey, ham or bacon, crispy lettuce, juicy tomatoes (which I usually leave off as it can make a mess of things), and mayo.

The above sandwich had two thick slices of toast and was cut in half. The house mayo was a nice touch and added some flavor. The bacon was thin and forgettable and barely noticeable in the photo. It was alright. I wasn't really impressed with the fries either. They were thin and oily if not too thin and burnt.

I'm sure there are other dishes that are much better than this one and I'll probably go back to give it another try. I must try the burger and Laurie and Jon both are loving it. But as far as the club is concerned, I wont order that again.

One thing I have to mention is the water....it tastes like dirt. When restaurants/bars fill your water glass with the same gun they use to spit out your soda, it tends to pick up a stale, dirty flavor. Both my friend and I agreed that the water was not good. Give me some regular tap water instead and I'll be happy.

Laurie has a review of The Decoy Bar and Grill HERE.

Roundabout Bend will post how Decoy is celebrating their one year anniversary soon I'm sure.

The Decoy Bar and Grill
1051 Bond Street, Suite 100
Bend, Oregon 97701
(541) 318-4833
http://decoybarandgrill.com/

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

1What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Florence A. Cowles who wrote about the history of the club sandwich in her cookbook Seven Hundred Sandwiches, published in 1929 suggesting it was "a meal in itself, and a meal which may have highly diversified component parts, as long as the principal specifications of toast, meat and salad ingredients are adhered to. Originally it was constructed on the toppling tower plan, but in any other shape it tastes as good and convenience now dictates a more open formation which may be readily attacked."

James Beard (1903-1985), thought it was "one of the great sandwiches of all time and has swept its way around the world after an American beginning. Nowdays the sandwich is bastardized because it is usually made as a three-decker, which is not authentic (whoever started that horror should be forced to eat three-deckers three times a day the rest of his life), and nowadays practically everyone uses turkey and there's a vast difference between turkey and chicken where sandwiches are concerned."

I agree with Beard, that the sandwich should be made with only two "decks" but it should look much better than that mess you were served. Three decks is so Big Mac-ish.

Apparently, some lore says it originated aboard the double-decker “club cars” of our early trains in America that traveled from New York to Chicago in the 1930's and 1940's but the first recipe for the sandwich showed up in Good Housekeeping Everyday Cook Book, by Isabel Gordon Curtis in 1903. Her recipe is as follows: Club Sandwich - Toast a slice of bread evenly and lightly butter it. On one half put, first, a thin slice of bacon which has been broiled till dry and tender, next a slice of the white meat of either turkey or chicken. Over one half of this place a circle cut from a ripe tomato and over the other half a tender leaf of lettuce. Cover these with a generous layer of mayonnaise, and complete this delicious "whole meal" sandwich with the remaining piece of toast.

Leave it to Good Housekeeping to set the standard for bland.

January 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home