BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

7.03.2007

Tortillaria Reyes - Bend Oregon

Tortillaria Reyes

A friend emailed me and said that I should check out Reyes Tortillaria, a place she believes to be "one of the most authentic Mexican restaurants" in Bend. So I grabbed up a trusty Mexican food enthusiast buddy and off we went. Tortillaria Reyes is located in that strip mall next to Big O Bagels on SE Division (in the strip mall next to the strip mall with Jackalope Grill and Blockbuster).

Restaurant is a fairly loose translation I guess. It was like going to a 7-11 in the heart of Mexico (so I'll assume since I've never been). I stood there a little confused trying to read the menu and seeing if there was any difference between the menu over the cashier and the menu behind the cashier, they looked identical and I couldn't read either of them.

I have no idea what to do and neither does my companion. So I ask "do you make an Al Pastor burrito"? To this day neither of us know what the response was. He said something, I said yeah ok, I'll have that.

Then my friend asks for some cilli verde pork burrito and the guy says "no we don't have that but we do have (no idea what he says here)". My friend says, "yeah I guess that's the same" and then we have a seat at one of the three tables in what we refer to as a doctor's office waiting room. It was small, and they have a small tv on in the corner playing some Mexican soap opera.

I walked around looking at all the different stuff you could get there. I didn't know what any of it was but I enjoyed looking at it. Shortly my burrito arrived and for $5 it was the best burrito I've had in Bend...sorry El Caporal.


The flavors blended nicely together even though I'm not a fan of lettuce in a burrito. But the lettuce was still crisp, the rice and beans were good and the meat (assuming it was actually pork) was juicy and tender. I could not get enough of the hot sauce. Loved IT!

While we sat in the waiting room, we saw all the regulars getting these huge plates of goodies, plates of tacos, something that looked like the Barbacoa at Pepe's, and other goodness. I can't wait to go back and attempt to get something like that. I know some of my friends love finding hole in the wall type places like this for Mexican food and I have recommended that they give it a shot. I hope I can tag along to figure out how to order.

Tortillaria Reyes
1155 SE Division St
Bend, OR 97702
(541) 383-2025

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

2What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

As long as there's no claws in the meat, you should be good. ;)

July 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the grocery store. Don't know where else I could get dried hybiscus flowers, tamarind candy and Fila cleets in the same stop. Had the adobada tacos and asada burrito. Both were right up the middle. Tasty, affordable, and quick. Not much else to say about this kind of food. To me, it either sucks or it doesn't to me. Reyes doesn't suck.

August 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home