BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

7.02.2007

Pepe's - Bend Oregon

Pepe's Mexican Restaurant

I feel sad for Madras. They lost a great Mexican restaurant when Pepe and the familia moved to Bend and into the old Bernie's BBQ building on Division.

Pepe's is probably the most authentic family style Mexican restaurant in Bend Oregon. Of all the restaurants in Bend I've been to, I have never seen Tortas on the menu. Just having Tortas doesn't make a restaurant the most authentic sure but we have a theory. If Mexicans are eating there, it's probably good. Do you disagree?

The wife decided on the chicken and rice soup and a ala cart Al Pastor taco. This taco was the cutest thing ever. It wasn't huge by any means but it was just the right size for her and for only $2 she was happy with it. I love when you get the two tortillas for a taco, one is never thick enough and it breaks. Then you have Al Pastor juice all over your hands instead of where it belongs.

pepes corn tortilla al pastor taco
I went for the special of the day which was the Barbacoa (marinated & shredded Beef AND Pork) platter. The beef and pork were tender, juicy, and damn good. I have to say that although it's not the headliner of the dish, the handmade flour tortilla was my favorite part of our lunch.

pepes barbacoa Our overall experience was top notch. Pepe's daughter was our waitress. She gave us a moment to look over the menu as she collected our drinks. Then she realized that we were not familiar with their menu and asked if it was our first time there. She gave us the run down, explained how everything is made fresh daily by all the family members that work there from Grandma to the cousins.

Fully family owned and operated, Pepe's is definitely worth checking out. Sorry Madras.

Pepe's Mexican Restaurant
2650 NE Division
Bend, Oregon 97701
Phone 541.330.2652
Dine-In or Take-Out

You can call in your order, just go to the Menu Page.
Hours
Monday - Thursday 10:30 - 9:00
Friday & Saturday 10:30 - 10:00
Sunday 10:30 - 5:00
http://www.mypepes.com/

Labels: , ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

13What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a truely horrible experience there that my spouse (a blogger) could not post on the blog because it would have/could have hurt their experience.

thirty minutes for a watered down-see through margarita and tasteless bland food. We will not go back

July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God. This is where I'm having dinner. Thanks for the head's up!

July 02, 2007  
Blogger Chillable said...

I got the impression the food was pretty authentic, and also the service wasn't great ('Pepe' himself took our order), the food was decent. I had the chile verde and it was exactly as I would expect. The homemade tortillas were delicious, though. On the way out the door, Pepe informed us that they sell tamales to go by the dozen, which I thought maybe we'd get if and when we went back. The problem is, with so many Mexican restaurants in Bend (some great, some not), I'm not sure Pepe's can succeed, especially in that location. I mean, Bernie's had some kick-a** Beef Brisket, and look what happened to them...

July 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you had the brisket at Baldy's?? I consider myself to be somewhat of bbq freak, and that stuff is addicting. Bernie's was good but i found it to be very inconsistent.

July 02, 2007  
Blogger deadgopher said...

You've no idea how happy my wife is that Pepe's is in Bend. She used to go to the Madras restaurant all the time in high school.

July 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My experience at Pepe's was not good. I ordered the pork chimichanga. When the waitress put my plate down, I was immediately disappointed. In front of me sat a very small chimichanga on a bed of shredded lettuce, with a small amount of shredded orange cheese on top (note: cheese was not melted).

Because every chimichanga I've ever eaten has been severed enchilada style, I was excepting sauce. But the real problem was for $10.95 -- I expect a meal. This chimichanga wasn’t even close to being a meal. At this point I’m hoping that it taste really great, so I don’t feel bad about having to go home and dig a snack out the frig after lunch. But the chimichanga was bland and tasteless. It consisted entirely of shredded pork, which was not seasoned well, in a deep-fried tortilla.

To top it off my young son ordered a kid’s cheeseburger. It was dry and burnt yet the cheese was not melted. The burger was served with no sides of any kind and cost $4.95. Seriously he could have gotten a burger at Burger King that was 50 times better and only cost a buck.

We may have visited Pepe’s on a bad day. But, it was soooo bad that I won’t give them another chance.

July 13, 2007  
Blogger xxldave said...

Pepe's didn't do it for me. I went with a friend and we ordered nachos and it wasn't very good. I think they get their cheese sauce from Taco Bell! The last thing I want on my nachos is cheese sauce! With all the hype surrounding Pepe's I was a little disappointed. Quite possibly the worst location in Bend for a restaurant. Every time I drive by the parking lot is near empty as was the case with Bernie's.

August 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family went to Pepe's about a month ago for lunch. We were all extremely happy with our meals and service. We don't go out to eat alot so pretty picky where we go. We will definitely go there again.

August 08, 2007  
Blogger Jen said...

I have a hard time believing the negative reviews are about the same Pepe's that we visited last night. A case of sour grapes by other locals, by chance?

Chillable, how is having your order taken by THE OWNER a sign of less than par service by any stretch of the imagination? To me that's a sign that the owner is there to succeed, and that they really care about their restaurant. But maybe that's just me...

December 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were also disappointed by the nachos. The tamale was great. But the fake cheese on the nachos was awful.

Randy

December 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pepe's is wonderful--great, authentic Mexican food. We are lucky to have them here in Bend.

February 26, 2008  
Blogger Jen said...

I think that location is cursed. Pepe's is heading back to Madras. :(

Bummer!

http://tinyurl.com/6972hn

April 12, 2008  
Blogger xxldave said...

Pepe's R.I.P.

June 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home