BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

12.10.2008

Restaurant Ramblings

Just me rambling on a Wednesday morning while avoiding my work.

I heard a couple of rumors the other day. One was that Fireside Red was going to close for a few months and the other was that Volo has shut its doors. The first was confirmed by the Bulletin and I don't know for sure about Volo or not.

-------------

I also saw that Aloha Cafe has taken over the old 38 Degrees location in NW Crossing. I'll have a new review of Aloha Cafe posted soon.

-------------

The wife and I made it over to Sumi's for dinner recently but I forgot my camera. The menu is still pricey but the service and portions have improved greatly. I recommend their daily lunch specials but I can't afford to go there for dinner when Mio Sushi is just a short drive away.

-------------

Bend Speedshop Deli is closed for another week or so while Let's Make a Space redesigns the interior to make it a restaurant and lounge. One anonymous tip came in saying that the creator of my beloved Nuke Paste/Pickles/Sauce has pulled out of the restaurant. I don't know for sure if this is accurate as I have not been able to get in touch with the owners. I'd be devastated if I couldn't get my 6 gears of nuke paste anymore.

-------------

My favorite personal chef - Sbandati Personal Chef Services is creating and online cheese shop:

"We are now selling the wonderful Italian imports that we cook with to provide our clients with authentic Italian cuisine. These are products that you can only find through Juri. The "Made in Italy" basket is a wonderful gift for a gourmet, cook, cheese enthusiast or lover of all things Italian."


Call 541-610-6278 or email info@sbandatipersonalchef.com for more information. Of you can email me and I can forward you their PDF file with additional information.

-------------

And finally I wanted to post this Anonymous comment that I received last night on my Papa Johns Pizza post. The comment didn't fit the topic so I decided not to publish the comment on that post. Instead, I'll copy and paste it here for all to read. I get shit like this all the time and it never stops cracking me up. I thoroughly enjoy when people assume anything about me after reading a couple of posts.

I can't stress this enough...I don't give a shit about your opinions. I just don't care. I started writing this blog because I was tired of the "reviews" being published two years ago that were complete bullshit. I wanted to write my honest opinion of my personal experiences at the restaurants that I frequent. No one else was doing it at the time. So I take a photo of my meal and I review that meal. I don't review restaurants. I review meals, specific dishes that I've tried.

I do not get compensated to write reviews. I don't get comped to go back multiple times to a restaurant. Just like most of population of Bend, I go to a restaurant and spend my own, semi-hard earned money, and make my opinion of a restaurant based on that experience. Anyway, enough of me. Here's the comment that I received, your comments are welcome:

"Anonymous has left a new comment on your post:

(For Pompous, Cheap, Picky, Want to be food critics/bloggers)

I don't expect you to publish this comment... but would be pleasantly surprised should you choose to. I have a small amount of faith however, since I see some of the negative feedback about your posts is published. I am not normally the type of person to go around making assumptions about people, but... since you choose to be a critic of the work of other people... then so shall I.

First off, I am going to assume you are not in and never have been in the service industry. A person with experience there would most likely not be so judgmental. A few key points (if you'd be so kind):

1. This blog makes you sound cheap. I see that you feel food above the price of $8.00 is spendy. News flash: food cost for businesses isn't what it used to be. My grandpa can't a candy bar for a nickel anymore, and $5 isn't going to get you a New York steak. You probably shouldn't be going out to eat if you can't part with a couple of bucks.

2. Realize that kitchens and servers are tending to the needs of all those other people sitting around you. You're not the only one getting food, you're not the only one getting drinks, and you're not the only waiting a few extra minutes to be seated (maybe after you and your group are done eating... instead of sitting around shooting the breeze, you all should get up and empty some chairs). Why don't you try cooking for 45 people, who are in a hurry to get back to work or have a timely dinner? On top of that, have them be picky about menu items (I don't like_____, hold this, add that, change this, etc). Furthermore, you are expected to do it fast and right the first time. If you don't, I'll go home and spend 20 mins writing about everything you did wrong.

3. Realize, please... these are people waiting on you, pouring your drinks, seating you, cooking your food, and taking your money. People are not perfect. People have off days. Waiters change, cooks change, bartenders, and hosts as well. One bad experience doesn't mean a joint is going down hill & one good experience doesn't mean it's the best place in town. So the next time you and your judgmental friends go out to eat... keep in mind that nobody is following you all to your jobs and complaining about every little misstep and mistake you all are making.

Thank you."


No no, thank you Anonymous! I love receiving these types of comments. I can't wait to read your blog which is dedicated to reviewing my reviews. Then I can comment about your posts about my comments.

"First off, I am going to assume you are not in and never have been in the service industry."

Incorrect assumption. I've been in retail, customer service, in the restaurant (fast food type), as well as served my country.

Point #1 - "This blog makes you sound cheap."

You can say cheap, I say frugal. I want the best quality food for the least amount of money. What's wrong with that? When Decoy sells me 6 wings for $10 when I can get a dozen of wings that taste as good if not better for the same or less money at many other establishments in Bend, I feel I need to make a point of it. Speaking of Decoy...to that tool that drives the white BMW and parks in the first spot out front, you drive like a jackass. I don't like you or your stupid haircut. Slow down.

Points #2 and #3 don't even make sense to me. If you go to a mechanic and get shitty service, you would complain and probably tell all your friends about how bad it was...based on that one experience. If I didn't do my job or did a crappy job, my customers would not work with me. When Tampa Bay's defense lets Carolina run all over them and keeps me out of my FF playoffs, I drop their ass and make a note to not use them next season. If a doctor has a bad day, people die. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.

If you don't like what I write, don't read it. If you haven't figured it out, I don't care. Thanks for the comment. Keep them comming.

Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

10What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn....I heart BOR.

December 10, 2008  
Blogger imagesbyjk said...

Hmmm, sounds like Anonymous is in the food service industry and has all the excuses down for poor service. Customers, on the whole, don't care why your service is bad and all the excuses in the world won't make up for a bad taste left by bad service. I follow your blog and do some reviews of my own on my blog. It seems that a good business owner would appreciate this kind of feedback since most unhappy customers tend to just not return rather than providing feedback. Anonymous sounds more like an employee than an owner.

December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say that I 'use' BOR in deciding where to eat. My wife and I do not go out very often and when we do we would like a pleasant experience and have found that BOR's reviews and critiques are accurate and just.

December 10, 2008  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

I don't use BOR... I just enjoy reading his reviews. (BOR's a "he", right?)

When I walked past the Speedshop Deli last First Friday (how often do you get to say last first?), there was a handwritten note on the door assuring the public (probably intended for you), that the nuke paste would be back.

December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Prineville Princess. I love reading BOR. I feel like he is my own personal David Sedaris, only funnier. I check out the blog every single day and am delighted to see when there is a something new. I peruse it to see if there is a post before visiting a new restaurant.

BOR rocks, so Mr/Ms/Mrs Anonymous can spend his/her time going back to those restaurants that are sub par. Afterall, the bad service and food are probably due to someone having a bad day, and surely this visit will be fantastic.

December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate the Jack Nicholson reference.

December 10, 2008  
Blogger Jake said...

I think BOR is an jackass. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. ;-)

Joking, BOR -- I love yer blog, and I think you should publish more of the comments like that. Watch the loyal community come to bat for you.

My guess is that commenter recently got fired from a job for bad behavior -- I seriously doubt any owner would believe this drivel.

December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it D'Angelo Williams? He did it to me with that last touchdown, knocked me right out of the playoffs by 4pts. Oh yea, Keep up the great work! You should be the size of a cow by now!

December 10, 2008  
Blogger Keeneye said...

I'm with Jake. You're a jackass.

:)

I've learned (very quickly) as a restaurant owner that I cannot please everyone all of the time... as much as I try to. I cannot be there every hour of the day perfecting every last thing.

I appreciate constructive criticism.

Man, you and me should sit down with a few bottles of my coveted Abyss and talk a spell....

December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen that Deep now has an all day happy hour on Sundays...Check it out...

December 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home