BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

7.14.2008

Flatbread Community Oven Pizza - Bend Oregon

Flatbread Community Oven

Flatbread Community Oven Pizza and Wine Bar located in the Old Mill is the second installation of this new restaurant chain. A couple of friends and I went to visit the new pizza place for lunch.

When we arrived in the old mill, parking was easy to find and we were able to get a table outside right away. As with most new restaurants in Bend, Flatbread Community Oven appeared to be benefiting from some early success. Their take on pizza is that they are VPN certified which means that apparently, they are approved by the Vatican to make pizza in America. The waitress explained it a little better and their menu's as well as their site is pretty big on this certification. But none of that really matters to me. I just want a good pizza at a fair price. Seriously, does it matter if your pizza has a certificate of authenticity? As long as it's good, eat it.

For lunch we chose from the Lunch Menu (available from 11-4) where you get to pick any two items from the Pizzetta menu, half sandwich, half salad, mac & cheese or soup. I decided on the Capicola, Sausage, and Salami pizza with the mac & cheese.



For the price, I found the lunch to be a pretty good deal. For around $9 you get a good set of options and I found the mini pizza and salad or mac & cheese to be the better value. I enjoyed my three meat mini pizza. The salty pork products blended well with the FCO Formaggio. FCO Formaggio is a type of cheese that I have never heard of before. I think they made it up. Sounds too much like fromundercheese.

I used all of the crust as bread sticks and dipped them into my left over cheese sauce from my Mac & Cheese. It was a rather heavy lunch but I enjoyed my meal.
A side note. I have written an Outdoor Dining Guide but I should have written some rules about outdoor dining etiquette. Actually I can't imagine there being that many rules but one stands out as I was eating at the Flatbread Community Oven ... KEEP YOUR DAMN SHIRT ON. This rule is actually meant for the fellas only. I mean, ladies, by all means. But if you're a dude, I don't give a damn if it's 110 degrees outside, you're at a restaurant and we're all eating. Unless your shirt is on fire, please keep your shirt on. No shirt, no shoes ... IT'S THE FIRST ONE!

While we were sitting at our outdoor table, half of us enjoying the mountain views, this tool and his family roll up on their bikes and sit down a nearby table. After ordering, all of the sudden, dad goes shirtless. Nice. It's great that we live in a small town were you can take advantage of a beautiful Central Oregon day and ride your bike around town with your family, getting all sweaty, thirsty, maybe a little hungry, and are able to stop by a restaurant for some refreshments and a nibble. I'm glad that I get to share in your successful workout regiment over the years as you work on your tan and continue to sweat two tables away from my Pope blessed pizza. Thank you sir, thanks for sharing. Tool.

I wish that the staff would have asked this jacknut to put his shirt back on. It's inappropriate.

Flatbread Community Oven
375 Powerhouse Dr, Bend, Oregon
541-728-0600
http://www.flatbreadpizza.com/

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

8What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez... you'd almost think with a blessed pizza, you'd be granted a seat within the no-shirtless sweaty dude zone.

July 14, 2008  
Blogger Jen F said...

What did you think of their mac n cheese? Mine was a little stringy and dry though it tasted OK. From your photo it looks saucier, maybe they've been tweaking their recipe!

No gelato for dessert?

July 14, 2008  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Hey Jen - the mac n cheese was ok. It was quite saucey but didn't bring anything special to it. Now the mac n cheese at the Blacksmith is m/c should be like. The BS serves up the best mac/cheese in Bend.

No gelato. If the wife went with me then we would have had some for sure.

July 14, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. Based on this recommendation I went out with my fiance and tried it tonight.... I'm going to say it. Better than Mondo. I've not had a margherita pizza like that in the U.S.....

The service was quick, and I love me some wine flights....
I tried the gelator and it was delish... but having accidentally ordered what appears to be a two person pizza I was stuffed.

Good review... Great new restaurant in Bend!

Bridget

July 14, 2008  
Blogger Carl said...

Actually VPN has nothing to do with the Pope or Vatican. I believe it has to do with some certification that it is a "true Neopolitan-type Pizza", sort of a DOC of Pizzas.

After seeing how far downhill Cibelli's Pizza has fallen, I amready to try a new Pizza place.

July 15, 2008  
Blogger adwords said...

Being a media maven by trade I would have not known about Flatbread Community Oven Pizza, if I had not stumbled upon your review. Loved it!! Your review was right on the money. My friend had the flatbread and loved it, even though it was different than the flatbread at Zydeoco (Which we also love). Good service! Good Food. We'll go back and give it another shot. Happy blogging.

July 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been there half a dozen times and never been anything but very happy. Last time I had the baked goat cheese-yum-and something else off of the bar menu which was really good but as of right now I can't remember what it was. Pizzas and flatbreads are the perfect combo of soft and thin.

July 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Dear BOR...

On an evening stroll (while Brooks and Dunn were, unfortunately, the entertainment of the evening), my boyfriend and i stopped by Flatbread for a glass of wine. The wine I ordered (Francis Ford Coppola's Sofia) came in a can!!!!! At least the damn thing came with a straw attached!!!

August 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home