BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

6.09.2008

Sonic - Bend Oregon

Sonic - Bend Oregon

Sonic, the fast food burger chain that calls itself America's Drive In, recently opened up in Bend Oregon. The Bulletin announced it's opening but didn't mention much other than the fact that Sonic has in fact opened. I tried to go and check it out a couple of times but I'll be damned if I'm going to wait in line out on the street while my car burns gas (at $4.17 a gallon as of this posting) just for some fast food burgers and a shake.

The lines have been nuts every time I drove by. I'm not that dedicated to getting the photo and review to waste my time waiting for a Super Sonic Burger and a Sonic Slushy. It just isn't worth it yet the two times that I went which were off hours, the place was packed and the line of cars extended into the street. So I pulled a u-turn and headed somewhere else. Finally, the wife and I made it into Sonic for a late dinner the other night.

Sonic Menu for anyone that cares:


sonic menu
Just for kicks I wanted to see what the Sonic Jr. Burger for $0.99 would get you. Meat, Mustard, Ketchup & Dill Pickle. It was pretty dry, I didn't finish it as I had my own burger to get to:

sonic jr burger
I also got the Sonic Bacon Cheeseburger for $3.79. It was a decent size but also pretty dry. For the money, I was not that impressed. I'd rather wait at Dandy's for a much better burger.


The wife selected the Sonic Toaster Sandwich and I was jealous. Her burger was stacked with Bacon, Dill Pickle, Onion, Lettuce, Tomato (they forgot the tomoto), Cheese, an Onion Ring & Hickory BBQ sauce. It was a much better deal for only $4.29.

Sonic Toaster Sandwich
And finally, we got ourselves some Sonic Blasts. She ordered the Butterfingers while I got the Oreo. Mine was better.


So we went to dinner pretty late and didn't have to wait long at all. We were able to drive right up to one of the Carhop service stations and took our time looking over the menu before pushing the button for service. Once we pushed the button the gal inside was immediate to answer and we ordered and paid easily.

About five minutes later, a wobbly kneed carhop stumbled her way to our car and delivered the goods. Fast and friendly service to say the least. However, my friends at Eat Salem have a horrid tale to tell and in it they mention that someone comes around with sauces. For the tots and fries that we ordered, we didn't get any ketchup or mustard offered or delivered. I'm sure we could have pressed the button again and requested, though I was sort of hoping to see the Sonic Sauce Server.

If there is any wait time, I don't think it's worth it. I will go to Sonic for fast food over McDonalds. Everyone I talk to says the same thing - "the burgers aren't that great but they have the best shakes and slushies." Whatever, it is NOT better than Goodies, Dandy's, Pilot Butte, or even worth the wait for a slushy compared to the 8 gallons of slush you can get at 7-11 for only five cents more. Come on, it's only five cents more.

Sonic - America's Drive In for Slushies and Shakes.

SONIC Drive-In
63076 NORTH HIGHWAY 97
BEND, OR 97701
(541) 306-4153

Labels: , , , ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

4What? Got something to say?

Blogger Jake said...

Agreed 100%. I amazed the place is as popular as it is, as there really isn't much that you can't go across the street (Burger King) or down the street (McDonalds/Dandys, etc...) and get better versions of. It's menu reminds me of Dairy Queen's, but Dairy Queen has MUCH better food. It may not come out in 10 seconds, but there's something to be said for fast food that takes a few minutes.

June 09, 2008  
Blogger Jen F said...

Overall I agree. Except for... Cherry Limeade. Tell me where else I can get a Cherry-Frickin-Limeade?! ;-)

Their Happy Hour deal (2-4pm) when the drinks are half price is pretty sweet.

There was probably no tomato on "the wife's" sandwich because of the tomato recall. (No joke!)

I still don't understand why y'all think Dandy's is so great. Yuck. Try Pilot Butte... or Baldy's!

June 09, 2008  
Blogger Jake said...

I prefer Pilot Butte over Dandy's, too, Jen -- but Dandy's is still better than Sonic.

June 09, 2008  
Blogger deadgopher said...

I agree with Jen, Cherry Limeade is pretty much 100% awesome.

June 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home