BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

7.23.2009

Brother Jon's Bend Oregon

Brother Jon's Public House

Brother Jon's Public House is open in the old Makhana's coffee shop location on Galveston. Jon and Steve (formerly with the Downtowner) are open for business with a full bar, 5 beers on tap including one of my favorites, Terminal Gravity's IPA, and familiar staff since they've hired all ex Deschutes Pub employees - it feels like I was eating at Deschutes Brewery like 4 years ago.

Their menu consists of sandwiches, soups/salads, apps, and doesn't have an item over $10 which is great for me. Another plus is that pints are only $3.50. That beats the $4.50 I'm paying at most places, and with my consumption, I can't afford that extra buck per pint.

On my first visit it was recommended that I go with the club. House roasted turkey, ham, bacon, cheese on toasted bread with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and mayo. $8.50


This photo is actually from my friend's plate and is the regular club. I made some crack about how a club should have avocado and sure enough mine came out with it. I love avocado on a club. It just brings it all together. But I thought I'd show the photo from the version without the avocado.

For a club, this bitch is solid! The bacon is thick, the portions are huge, and the price is spot on. It IS very similar to the club from the Downtowner and looking at comparison photos you can see why. BUT, since I can easily find a table at Brother Jon's without having to wedge into the tightest of overcrowded spots (like at The Downtowner), can play a round of darts for free, and order a tanquerey and tonic, I will go to Brother Jon's over The Downtowner in a heartbeat. Also, since Krista's is not delivering the club in nearly the same quality they were last Summer, I have to declare a new King of the Club for Bend Oregon. Congrats Brother!

The wife ordered The Captain Jack Sparrow. Pulled pork, ham, pineapple, and sweet onion simmered in pineapple-rum sauce and served on a kaiser with melted pepperjack and mayo. $8.50 (all the sandwiches on the menu are $8.50)


I got a taste and it is gooood. Pork and pineapple just go so well together.

On my next visit the special was a turkey, bacon, ranch, and swiss sandwich for $8.50. I decided to go for it.

Hot cheese melted over crispy bacon and turkey in some sort of heavenly fusion just makes me giddy like a school girl. I liked it. Could have used some avocado but hey, that's just me.

Unlike the club, I was able to finish this sandwich but still wanted to take a nap an hour later. For the ladies, the club is not too crunchy that it hurts the inside of your mouth, I know thats an issue for many of my readers.

Brother Jon's Public House
1227 NW Galveston Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
541-306-3321

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

6What? Got something to say?

Blogger Keeneye said...

Oh man. That pulled pork sandwich looks AMAZING! And what a club - crazy big! Good prices, too. Sandwiches have a pretty high food cost when you have quality ingredients.

July 23, 2009  
Anonymous Barbara said...

I am so glad you liked Brother Jon's! As the mother of one of the owners (who is actually John-with-an-H, and I should know)I am looking forward to eating there when I come to Bend for a visit in August.
I am reliably informed that the name of this restaurant comes not from co-owner John Machell, my tall handsome son, but from an old name for Mount Bachelor. Wikipedia says, "Mount Bachelor is so called because it "stands apart" from the Three Sisters, a group of three volcanic mountains that are northwest of Mount Bachelor. In early days Bachelor Butte (as it was originally named) was frequently called "Brother Jonathan"."
Thus, Brother Jon's Public House.
Anyway, love your blog and especially that your proceeds go to NeighborImpact, helping to feed local folks in need. Quite lovely and fitting for a restaurant review blog. You are a good egg.
Barbara from Ballston Spa, NY

July 25, 2009  
Anonymous joolz said...

ok, now i have to have my mom write something...

July 28, 2009  
Anonymous The Wife said...

Bonus points with Brother Jon's is that they share the parking lot with La Cakery.

Yummy lunch, then grab a red velvet cupcake for later.

July 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Club made with Rye was Great. Came back the next day for another and brought my wife. We split another Club and half Spinich Salad which was also great. Good Food Nice atmosphere and good Prices. I recommend

August 14, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the club and Jack Sparrow are like Downtowner sandwiches....that's where they were first made....

August 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home