BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

5.15.2008

Victorian Cafe - Bend Oregon

Victorian Cafe

The Victorian Cafe or The Vic as the locals call it is a favorite of the Bendites. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I drive to the Victorian Cafe and upon hitting the traffic circle at 14th and Galveston and seeing the huge crowd waiting outside and all the cars lining the street, I'll continue to drive around and around the traffic circle while making my decision of going to Makahna's Cafe, Longboard Louies for a breakfast burrito, Original Pancake House, Nancy P's, or Westside Bakery. I'll just go round and round. I can't stand waiting an hour for breakfast, I don't care if the eggs are seasoned with stone ground diamonds.

"Look kids, there's Big Ben, there's Parliament" - Me

The wife and I decided to swing by The Victorian Cafe for lunch and sure enough there were a couple of open parking spots so we figured there wouldn't be a wait. When we walked in we got a great spot with a window immediately.

I browsed the menu of speciality drinks and contemplated the Man-Mosa - champagne and OJ in a flippin pint glass. Good lord, I wouldn't have been functional for the rest of the day. I had to pass. You won this round oh Pint Glass of Love, but I we will meet again.

After the comments and emails I've received about the eggs benedict being the best in town, I had to give em a shot. Looking over all the options for the eggs bene's, I decided on the Cali Benedicts which consist of your classic poached eggs, english muffins, and covered in hollandaise. But instead of ham or salmon you get turkey (hormone free for you hippies that give a crap about that sort of thing), spinach, bacon, and avocado slices. And I was pleased as punch to see actual avocado slices on top instead of guacamole like at McMenamins.


I can't praise this dish enough. I absolutely loved every bite and I ate it up. I made little stacks on my fork with a little of everything so each bite had all the ingredients. I even managed to make a couple mini-Bene stacks for the wife. She was quite jealous of my meal and even said "Next time I come back, I'm getting that."

Normally she's the one that gets something different that I normally wouldn't order and then that dish becomes my favorite. But how can you go wrong with eggs, bacon, turkey, and cover it with hollandaise? I mean that's a perfect storm in my gullet. These were the BEST eggs benedicts that I've had in Bend.

The wife went for the 18 Wheeler.


She was sort of happy with it but the biscuits were really thick and heavy. We like fluffy biscuits that soak up the gravy easily. I tried them and they seemed awfully dry even covered with gravy. So she sort of scraped all the gravy off and was still satisfied.

Victorian Cafe
1404 NW Galveston Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
(541) 382-6411

Labels: , ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

5What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real locals have always called it Vickie's Pantys, in Hommage to the old Vitoria's Pantry...probably before your time. The Vic sounds like some stupid Portland or Cali thing.

May 15, 2008  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

HA! Thanks for reminding me about Vicky's Panties. I have heard it called that before by some 'real locals'.

I call it The Vic. I consider myself to be local. Get off your high horse and welcome change old timer. It is ok for other locals to give the place a different, and easier to say, nickname.

What's your definition of 'Real Locals'? How long do I have to live in Bend in your opinion in order to be considered a local? Over ten years ok with you, jacknut?

-BOR

May 15, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

about a month or so ago they had a philly cheesesteak benedict that was fabu! they need to put that one on the menu permanently.

May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well there sparkplug, I guess it helps if you were born here. The true test, however, is that you don't get bent outta shape when someone questions if you're a "real local" and you don't feel the need to defend yourself. Guess you're not quite there yet.

May 15, 2008  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

So a child 10 years or younger is more of a local than I am since they were born here even though I've lived here longer?

I didn't know the real locals had a test. Guess you're right. I'm not there yet. Does any of that have to do with food? All I said was that locals call Vicorian Cafe "The Vic." Sorry to offend a true, friendly, forgiving local like yourself.

-BOR

May 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home