BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

1.14.2008

Cafe Yumm - Bend Oregon

Cafe Yumm!

I'm confused by Cafe Yumm and the people that eat there. Sure the food is healthy, the restaurant is the "Greenest" I think I have ever heard of, and it's located in the Old Mill. But I can't help thinking about my non meat eatin, ultimate Frisbee playin, nalgene totin, NPR listenin, dog lovin, Newport shoppin, friend (yeah, only one of them) when I look over the Tempeh filled menu.

I've been through some rough times in my life where money was really short. Back then we'd eat mostly at home and it was mostly something and rice. One dish in our repertoire came from the wife's ghetto days - chili and rice. Chili from a can, over white rice. Since almost all of our dishes included rice, mixing it up with some chili would be a nice change of pace.

Still, chili and rice was what we had and we enjoyed it mainly cause it cost us about $2 for the entire meal. Now I can drop $5 for the small bowl (and the small is really small - I recommend at least the medium size) of glorified beans and rice from Cafe Yumm and remember the good old days. It's just beans and rice.

Ok, more seriously now, when I visited Cafe Yumm, we were greeted by the friendly staff and given samples of the Original Yumm Bowl which was rather tasty. I didn't think that I'd enjoy an entire bowl of it and I usually look for something with more meat...any meat. I settled for the Secret Asian Man™ salad. Not only did the ingredients sound great together but the name is just hilarious.

Organic field greens, red cabbage, carrots, tomato, cilantro, crispy noodles, sliced almonds, Ginger Miso dressing. Choice of seasoned organic Tofu or premium Turkey. Of course I selected Turkey.


For being a salad, it was pretty good. I was still hungry after I was finished though.

The wife really liked her soup and half sandwich. She's thrilled with Cafe Yumm and is trying to convince me to go back. I don't think it's going to make the rotation until there is a pork product on the menu.

Café Yumm!
The Shops at the Old Mill District
325 SW Powerhouse Drive
Suite 130
Bend, OR 97702
541-318-YUMM (9866)
10am-9pm Mon-Sat, 11am-7pm Sun
http://www.cafeyumm.com/

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

11What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to the Chamber ribbon cutting for them and they had a hummus dish for sampling. It was REALLY good and I am looking forward to going back and having the larger portion again. I say give them another shot, the couple who owns it seems like they have put everything into this restaurant and I hope it works for them!!

January 14, 2008  
Blogger Chillable said...

Don't worry, as long as you're carrying this with you, anything can taste as good as pork.

January 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. Mrs. wants to head there tonight. Thanks especially for the heads-up on not getting full.

January 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have eaten at the various Cafe YUMM! restaurants three in Eugene, and one in Springfield. I would suggest everyone try the Deluxe YUMM! bowl, if you like it spicy get the Hot n Jazzy deluxe YUMM! If you are a carnivour and can't fathom eating without some flesh just get a chicken skewer with your meal and slide it on top! All organic food good for you!

January 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a business rep here for lunch (he recommended) he ordered the medium yumm bowl and I had a small. You are all right the small is SMALL! and no chips no bread that is it $5.25. I left hungry and wondered how they could be proud of such small portions. Everything in the bowl was not expensive. I give them a year.

January 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was not impressed. The ingredients are very easy to source, and no word if they are using locally-grown products, or simply "organic" produce grown who-knows-where (most likely the latter). We often make something that tastes just as good or better at home. It wouldn't be bad if the price was $3-5 per bowl, but $7 was way too steep for beans and rice. Simply a chain restaurant that was overpriced and bland, like basically every other chain/franchise I have been to. If you are looking for affordable lunches in Bend, Kebaba and Baldy's are much better bets for the same $.

April 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the food is pretty darn good. I can get a good, healthy meal for under 8 bucks and be full afterwards. I agree that the small is pretty small, but I think that the medium is just fine. The staff has been nice whenever I've gone there.

February 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spoke to the manager at Cafe Yumm! and they verified that all of the ingredients used in their bowls are sourced from local producers. Local as in within the state of Oregon.

I like that the food is all organic and made fresh. While it is primarily rice and beans, and while the price may seem pretty steep for what it is, I think about buying the organic cilantro, organic sour cream, organic tomatoes, Tillamook cheddar, organic olives, organic brown rice, organic black beans and organic avocado to make my own Yumm! Bowl and suddenly $8 or less to buy it there doesn't sound so bad after all! :)

May 20, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want that bacon salt

August 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love their food. I have a problem though...
1. consistency of the size when you order to go.
2. constantly messing up my order when it is to go.
I eat there at least twice a week...I know...a lot, but I really love the food. In the past month alone I have had 4 different times where I got home and there was no Yumm sauce in my bowl. I have had the last three times in a row where I have gotten home and there are no beans in my bowl. There are also countless times where I get home and my container is filled about half way and I am still hungry after spending about 9.00 on lunch and a soda. It's really sad because I spend a TON of money there, FAR more than any other place in town, but I just have decided I can't eat there anymore. Last night was the last straw. We were starving, and I made a special trip to get mine to go from Cafe Yumm, while the family got Chan's to go. When we got home, instead of h aving a side of the Asian Slaw, I had a side of the sauce that goes on the slaw...but no slaw? Also, no beans on my original bowl again! Just a mush of rice and toppings and sauce! It was pretty frustrating when mine cost as much as one of the other family member's HUGE meals from Chan's. They all had leftovers, and I had to make something else to eat...

August 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked at a Cafe Yumm! in Eugene and the ingredients are not local just bought from a local supplier in addition all of the ingredients are not organic nor do they claim to be. Prices aren't really that bad for all you get. Portion control is something our society is greatly lacking. Being vegan I enjoyed the fact that they don't have a menu filled with animal products. The rice and bean combo create a complete protein that is better for you than any piece of meat! All locations should be priced the same.
(Small $4.50 Med $5.75 Lg $6.75) It worth the under $8 for the unique flavor.

May 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home