BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

6.05.2007

Zydeco - Bend Oregon

Zydeco Kitchen & Cocktails

Zydeco has been getting quite a lot of coverage in this blog recently with the our first ever Price My Dinner competition. Here's the rest of the meal.

For starters we couldn't quite decide on which of the special appetizers to have so we went with both. I thought we were getting something special on this visit and figured we had better try them while we had the chance. But during the competition I received an email from a participant who asked "Were the special appetizers tuna and clams"?

This took me by surprise and I thought that maybe I had been spotted, cover blown. I wrote back curiously and the response was "Seems like there are always tuna and clams on the specials".

Interesting. Why not just put em on the menu as standard? Maybe it's the way that they are prepared each time that are different and that makes them special.


Zydeco Clam Special
The wife and I agreed that we could have gone with a little less of the extra bits that came with the clams. The flavor was spot on and we really enjoyed the broth. But after one or two with the tomato, capers, and green olive we ended up scraping them off and just enjoying the clams in the sauce.

I should have taken a photo of the large portion of bread that is hidden in the middle of this dish. I felt it was a bit misleading. I saw a mountain of clams at first but sadly realized that it was about half as many as I originally expected. Oh well.

Turns out people actually eat the bread. I tried a bite of the bread that was drenched with the clam broth. It was good but I'd rather dip my bread in vs having it soaking in the broth. The wife grubbed it up.

Zydeco Ahi Tuna Special
The ahi tuna was amazing and just like I like it, 98% raw. The tuna has a mustard sauce lightly drizzled over a it and the sauce was amazing. I'd cut one of the slices in half and the wife would quickly grab the mustard topped piece leaving me the scraps to wipe up off the plate. It was good enough to remember fighting over the last little bit.

Zydeco Steak
Above is the mystery steak from the aforementioned competition. A huge portion of bone in KC Strip with a couple of shrimps, potatoes, and asparagus. The steak was amazingly good and as I've mentioned before, amazingly expensive. The shrimp on top was resting on a pat of horseradish butter. Spreading the butter over all of the steak while it was piping hot gave the entire steak a delicious buttery flavor.


The wife's dinner off the regular menu. Pan-Roasted Steelhead lemon-caper sauce and roasted vegetables. No bacon? Not deep fried? Eh. While I tease, her dinner was actually very good. The lemon caper sauce complimented the steelhead perfectly.

All in all, our meal was fabulous and I will go back for another meal as soon as possible. I would like to taste the Acadian Flatbread and the Ribs that have been recommended to me a couple times. The service was amazing. Everyone that stopped by our table was extremely friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. Holly was our server and she rocked. Top notch service at Zydeco for sure.

Zydeco Kitchen and Cocktails
1085 SE 3rd st
Bend, OR
541-312-2899
http://www.zydecokitchen.com/

Labels: , ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

8What? Got something to say?

Blogger Jen said...

I am glad you had a great meal! Oh yeah, that Ahi is sooo good. Scott isn't a "fish guy" (let alone a "raw fish guy") and he LOVED it. (Darnit! Less for me!)

The steelhead is Stinky's favorite - but I prefer the redfish. And those ribs really are heaven.

I don't care for the flatbread, but we can't help but order the "cheese plate" (toast 'n' jam) every time.

Now I am hungry! Too bad they aren't open for breakfast!!

June 05, 2007  
Blogger Chillable said...

Our favorite app is always the BBQ shrimp. DOesn't sound very interesting, does it? I didn't think so the first time either. But it goes waaaaaaay beyond what you might expect. The sauce is out of this world (especially if you like sopping things up with bread, which it sounds like you do). I've gone so far as to actually order a double portion as my entree. It's THAT good!

June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would take a bath in the BBQ Shrimp sauce. That's how amazing it is.

June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zydeco is one of my favorite restaurants in Central Oregon.

I have a vacation rental in Bend, and hate sending out-of-towners to the 97 strip for dinner... yet have always heard kudos afterwards for the reccommendation of Zydeco.

Their food is of the highest caliber, and I have yet to experience such great service at any restaurant.

June 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We took my sister and her husband to Zydeco and (they dine out all the time)it was excellent! I would go back anytime and reccomend it over any other restuarant in town. The prices are not that bad no one in our party left hungry.. I alos love the BBQ shrimp.yum!

June 06, 2007  
Blogger Anthony Skinner aka Purple Tongue said...

We always have great meals at Zydeco. The wine selection is nice and reasonably priced. The grit cakes are awesome and the staff is excellent.

September 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just "me-tooing" all the praise for zydeco. I spent a week in Redmond recently on business, eating mediocre meal after meal at Niblick and Greene's just be ause it was atta hed to my hotel (Eagle Crest). Finally decided to check out zydeco. After deciding to get the chicken because of all the red meat I'd eaten, I wasn't too pleased to hear about the bone-in 18oz Porterhouse with horseradish butter, herbs, roasted potatoes and a grilled artichoke. The arttichoke sealed the deal for me, since I'd been eyeing the grilled baby artichoke app. Artery-clogging decision made, I told the waitress my sad story, and she laughed. A few minutes after I'd ordered, she explained that the kitchen had mistakenly made an extra order of the corn and artichoke fritters. Then she gave them to me. So much for a healthy meal. That said, they were fantastic.

The steak was good, but not much better than a 3.5 of 5 -definitely not high-level steakhouse quaity. The roasted potatos were fine and the grilled baby artichoke was great.

I wanted dessert, but refrained. Total cost: $32 plus a very large tip (free appetizers aren't free, people).

I may never make it back to bend, but if I do, I know where I'll be eating diinner.

December 04, 2008  
Anonymous Sam said...

I had the BBQ shrimp this weekend for the first time. The gravy/sauce on with that is the best thing I have ever eaten. So good that I ordered more of it for my redfish. Sofa King Good! I will find that recipe.

February 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home