BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

5.31.2007

$32 - The Winner Is...

Whitey?

Are you even eligible to win? You don't even live here. Is there a SOBA in Baker City?

Congratulations Whitey, you were $0.99 off and now are entitled to a half full punch card to SOBA. This meal was $32 even, as a special menu item at Zydeco.


I'll post the full review of the meal soon but for now I'll just say that this steak was delicious. I didn't know the price of this meal until the bill arrived and I was actually in shock when I saw the bill. I just wasn't expecting it to be in the 30's. I doubt I would have ordered the steak as I can grill a mean steak myself. So I question if I would have thought highly of this steak if I knew how much it was costing me.

I still wish I knew the price of specials, not just at Zydeco but at any place that offers specials. What's the protocol for asking for the price of a special menu item when the server verbally announces them vs a printed off sheet added to the menu? If I ask what the cost is, will the server think I'm cheap and in turn assume a light tip and in turn provide less than adequate service?

Not that I personally care but what about the people around me. I may not dress as nice as they do or drive a fancy car but my money is just as good as theirs and I worked hard for it. But when I question the price on a special menu item, do they sigh or make me feel uncomfortable in anyway? I am just trying to bring up the idea that some people might not be comfortable asking what an item costs and doesn't seem to be something people do. At least I don't, or haven't yet.

I think the next time I'm at a restaurant and the wait person informs me of the specials, I'm going to see what the reaction is when I ask what the price is.

Man, I've been watching Deadliest Catch while writing this and just realized I've written way too much on the subject. Thank you all that participated in the first ever "How much was my dinner" contest. Next contest will be to help me come up with a better name for contests. Oh and maybe Jake will share his skills in prize collecting so I can offer something more enticing next time.

Hope you have a great day!

Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

6What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These days, I'm okay with a $30 plus steak. Drop by your local Fred Meyer a try and find something of similar size for less than $15. Compute in the costs of your surroundings and the staff that prepared it, served it, cleaned up after you, and you may have gotten yourself a bargain.

Sure, you can cook a mean steak - so can I but then, I would never order a steak out when there is something more exotic on the menu that the whole fam would just turn their collective noises up at if I cooked it at home.

Specials should be special and you should never be ashamed of asking the price. But a printed menu of specials or a daily board would make the decision a lot more comfortable.

If the specials consistently out price all of the regular items, I would complain.

Try this: Every time the waitperson returns to the table, ask her to repeat the specials... again and again. Believe me, they will be more than happy to start printing menus to save time.

For me, the choice is "always order odd".

May 31, 2007  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

I don't think I've ever paid $30 for a steak. Color me poor white trash, I guess.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

I'm never shy about asking how much something costs before I buy it. Sometimes I'll even tease the waiter about it. "Are you afraid to tell me the price?" or, more often, "I guess it's free since you didn't mention the price."

On that subject, I hate when I go to the store and the prices aren't marked on the goods. Generally I will never buy a product with no price on it unless I really, really want it, and then I check before buying it.

May 31, 2007  
Blogger Chillable said...

I am SO disappointed I was out of town and missed this exciting contest! But let me just chime in my 2 cents worth: it totally annoys me when they don't tell you the price of the specials, because I always want to ask, yet never do. I am one of THOSE people! But, I always appreciate it when someone ELSE at my table has the guts to...

And yes, Zydeco does make a mean steak. I once had a special Ribeye there that was topped with a huge pile of butter-and-spicy-spice soaked dungeness crab and it was out of this world. And whatever they do to their seasonal vegetables is amazing. I swear I'd eat anything sauteed in that sauce...

May 31, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

D&D has a good steak and it's like $9. It's the best I've had hear but you're talking to someone who's from Omaha Steaks country and it's hard pleasing me.

May 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - they do (or at least, used to) a Two-Fer Tuesday special with their steak dinners. I've heard from other people that they are some of the best in town, too.

AND, Whitey said that he'll donate the SOBA card right back into your pocket, but you have to do a review on The Grove for dinner.

June 01, 2007  
Blogger Jen said...

I think the prices of the specials at Zydeco are generally comparable to the regular menu items - not more or less.

We dragged Scott's parents (from KFalls) to Zydeco for dinner last Friday and BOTH of them got "your" steak. They raved about it, and said it was very tasty and well-prepared. I tried a bite of each (one med-rare, one medium) and both tasted very good.

So... it is apparently a "seasonal" item, not really special.

Also, the seared ahi "special" that was offered the last couple times was NOT available this time. (Sad)

June 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home