BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

11.14.2007

Breastfeeding in Restaurants

Breastfeeding in Restaurants

Listening to Power 94 this morning the question was asked by D-Marie about breastfeeding in restaurants or in public in general. She said that she was out to dinner and witnessed another patron breastfeeding at the table.

I'll weigh in on this topic with ease. Get the hell over it and your 1950's society issues. I'd much rather see a responsible mother keeping her child happy and healthy at the table instead of letting the kid scream in hunger. What is your problem with breastfeeding? It is a perfectly natural way for human beings to feed their offspring. Every species in the world does it. Why does it offend you to see a woman feeding her child?

If you argue with me, I'll win. It's fine, get over it.

What I want to know is why I've received glares from ladies on the occassions that I get "caught" looking (not staring) even for a second at a women breastfeeding. Why should I feel embarrassed? I'm not trying to get a glimpse, I just happen to notice what's going on around me.

I am a curious guy. I look at everyone that walks in the door, I scan the room to see if I know anyone when I enter a restaurant or bar or wherever. If I happen to notice a woman breastfeeding, it seems that she makes eye contact with me...well...she makes eye contact...I don't. Hey man, it's an exposed booby! I'm a guy....I don't think I can help it.

I think women are on over alert status while breastfeeding. If I happen to glance at you (not on purpose), don't glare at me or get all pissy. I'm not a perv, I'm not a freak. I just happened to be looking over in your direction for a second. If you're going to whip it out, I might notice...that's the price you pay.

Anyway, I say go for it. Who cares. Shouldn't even be an issue.

Here's a good resource on the subject.

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

7What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

You're wrong.

Not every species in the world breast-feeds. It's that mammal thang, remember? :)

November 14, 2007  
Blogger Jen said...

If you don't want people to look, then cover up. If you cover up then there's the added bonus that your kid won't get distracted. Distracted breastfeeding baby = painful.

Other than the species thing... (suggested edit: "Every species in the Mammal class does it.") I agree. You are right. :)

November 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... maybe you're just lucky but I've seen plenty of breastfeeding women and I don't think I've ever caught a glimpse of anything titillating ;-)

Well... not in public anyway. The wife is a little less discrete at home.

As Jen says, it's pretty easy to do the job without anything showing. Not that I think it matters. I could care less if all hangs out.

But I'm surprised you received any glares. I've found that the mothers I know who do the breastfeeding thing seem to have a fairly cavalier attitude about this sort of thing. After all, they're not really sexual organs, are they?

November 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience covering up can often draw more attention to a nursing mother, especially when a baby doesn't want to be covered.

What do you notice more, a calm baby snuggled in or a hungry baby kicking and screaming to get out from under a blanket?

November 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i breastfeed in public whenever my baby is hungry, wouldn't you rather that than a screaming child...moms have a right to go out an enjoy themselves too. Are we just supposed to stay at home if we are breastfeeding?

November 17, 2007  
Blogger Little Things said...

I nursed both of my children regardless of where we were. I always tried to smile at folks who seemed to notice what I was doing, and I never got any flack about it.

Jen, I would have loved to cover up, and Zippy had no issues letting me do so. Burger, however, would scream if I covered her head, so folks maybe saw more than they wanted when she was little. Whatever.

Sorry you got glares. Glad that you still don't care, though, because it makes me insane when folks do mind, and I'd hate to be mad at you!

November 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being a local chef of one of the finer restaurants in the area, I'd like to make a couple comments regarding this issue. First, milk is nutritous and good for you. Second, I wish we had this problem at our restaurant but everyone's too frickin' old.

November 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home