BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

10.01.2007

Kasey's BBQ - Bend Oregon

Kasey's BBQ

Kasey's Texas Style BBQ has been promoting itself on the radio a lot over the last few months. I saw their booth at the Bend Oregon Beer Fest and had to ask them why. They said that there are new owners and they have some big plans.

I convinced my BBQ loving friend from Texas to go back to Kasey's BBQ with me again. The first time we went, I ended up buying his meal since I was embarrased that I recommended trying it. This time he was on his own.

Still, I would have paid for his meal if we didn't have to pay up front...it has not improved much. Two things that have improved greatly are:

- the silver dollar potatoes which were crispy on the outside and not crispy on the inside

- the BBQ sauce. Kasey's BBQ Sauce is delicious. Both their mild and the spicy were amazingly good and I'd buy a bottle of it if I could.

Now for the bad news, I would not recommend Kasey's BBQ to anyone looking for good BBQ. If you prefer dried out meat, beef ribs that are so tough you can't rip the meat from the bone, then Kasey's is for you.




I chose the sampler platter so I could try everything they have to offer. Beef brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, pork loin, turkey, chicken, and two sides. I selected the baked beans and mashed potatoes wif gravy. No mashers available for lunch so I ended up with the silver dollar potatoes which I was very pleased with.

While I was waiting for my meal I noticed one of the workers go to the back to retrieve my beef rib, throw it on the grill and resauce it. Didn't seem like it was right out of the smoker but oh well. When I bit into it, I tasted fat, then tough, tough meat that I could barely rip free. Then I chewed on it for a while like it was a piece of Taco (octopus) from a cheap sushi bar.

Next I tried the brisket which was sliced so thin, no way it would be tough. And it wasn't, but it was dried out. The smokiness was lacking on all of the meat I sampled and the brisket was no different. I enjoyed dipping the brisket into the spicy BBQ sauce though. Made it much better.

The pork loin and the turkey were almost too similar aside that there was slightly more mosture in the turkey meat than the pork loin. Other than that, they were both unimpressive.

The pork ribs were horrid just like the beef ribs. Tough and dry don't fly.

And finally I tried the chicken breast. I tore it open to get into the flesh without the fatty, grey skin and bit into the breast...dry, flavorless meat. I didn't take a second bite.

Well, I left confused as to why Kasey's BBQ could even get honorable mention in the Source's Best Of 2007 but I'm often confused about many things. I will not be heading back to Kasey's anytime soon, but feel free to give it a go and let me know what you think.

Kasey's Texas Style Bar-B-Q
304 SE 3rd St
Bend, OR 97702
541-389-0830
http://kaseysbbq.com/

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

1What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's too bad. I was hoping with the new owners things would get turned around. "BBQ" and "All You Can Eat" are some of the better phrases in the English language, but Kasey's didn't seem to get the fact that So-So BBQ won't cut it.

A few years ago I had some Kasey's BBQ at one of the radio promotions (Twins - Fathers Day) and it was dang tasty. This last year it was pretty blah.

I agree that the sauce is very good, but the meat is not good at all. Bummer...

October 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home