BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

8.07.2007

Makahna's Trattoria - Bend Oregon

Makahna's Trattoria

Driving by Makahna's Trattoria the other day the wife says that we should try that place sometime. Well, that time has come my friends. I picked the wife up from her office and off we went.

Looking over the long list of imported beers I order myself a Stella Artois...I just like saying the name (just like I enjoy saying edamame). There were quite a few beers on the list that I have not seen available in town. Maybe the beer bloggers drunk and drunker should check em out.


For lunch I ordered the Deluxe Meat Panino (not panini like everyone keeps calling them). I asked what the difference between a panino and a panini and our waitress said that there isn't any..."they're both sandwiches". Fair enough.

According to Wiki, panino is actually the proper way of saying the singular version of panini (panini being the plural for panino) but the English speaking folk skipped all that and just use panini for the singular and paninis for plural. Does it matter? Back to my sandwich.

The Deluxe Meat is ham, salami, and Mortadella which is also a salami. With only a few options for paninis I decided to go for this one. The wife went for the sausage panino. We waited for our lunch while sitting on the patio watching the traffic go by. And we waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.


For lunch, we waited too long especially since we were the only ones there. By the time we were finally done with lunch and paid up we had been there for an hour. I'm not sure what the reason was for taking so long. I wouldn't have expected to wait this long especially with the small menu. Having a small menu means they don't have that many different dishes to make, should go faster. It should not take 30 minutes to bring out a couple of sandwiches and chips. And it wasn't really that good. I mean it wasn't bad, just nothing to jump up and down about or to be willing to risk waiting that long again. And the chips sucked. Bad chips, bad.

Laurie has a friendlier review of Makahna's Trattoria over at the Source. In this article she mentions how Makahna's cross trains their staff, so everyone knows how to do everything. I heard that McMenamins does this as well. Is it a coincidence that both places are slow as molasses? How about we let the wait staff WAIT ON THE CUSTOMERS and the kitchen staff PREPARE MY DAMN LUNCH?
Seems like Running a Restaurant 101 to me, but I'm just the customer, what do I know.

For you Bike Mecca - Wiki's summary of a Trattoria

Makahna’s Trattoria
1133 NW Wall St, Ste 101,
Bend Oregon, 97701
678-5750

Hours:
7am-10pm Mon-Fri, 12pm-10pm Sat-Sun

Makahna's Trattoria Map

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

5What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>How about we let the wait staff WAIT ON THE CUSTOMERS and the kitchen staff PREPARE MY DAMN LUNCH?<<

oh Oh OH! I about bust a gut laughing on this one.

Duly noted.

August 07, 2007  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

I don't care how they do it as long as they do it well.

The Italian rule about plurals I learned a long time ago. One tag is a graffito, two tags are graffiti. More than two tags and you're in a neighborhood you should stay away from. ;)

August 07, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have been to Makahnas a few times. They did have some rough beginnings but have turned way around!! They have expanded the menu some recently, especially the lunch side. I personally like when my server knows how to prepare the food, I can ask more questions. I would suggest giving them another shot, your panino looks nothing like one I have ever had, may have been a bad day.

August 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admittedly the first time I went the service was slow, but they have done a nice job of late, and the food is theclsoest thign to Italian that I had in Italy in town...Fresh and simple food. YUM! Great wine lista nd wonderful prices too. And lets nto forgett he lvie music -- Buono Makahna, Buono!

September 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waiting and more waiting for wine for water for food.. for anything. a good synopsis for this restaurant. I took my out-of-town parents here for the first time to check it out and was embarrassed at the slow service and sub-par food. We waited forever for dishes that had bland flavor and no color appeal. They were also out of a lot of menu items and made the selections slim pickings.

October 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home