BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

2.02.2007

Edamame

Edamame

I just wanted to take a moment to discuss edamame. Edamame is not good. It doesn't taste good, doesn't look good, doesn't even smell good, yet you want it cause it's neat, different, cool, hip, edgy, whatever. I get it, you want to feel cool, you want people to think that you're a world traveler, you want to impress your date, you want the waitress to know you are on top of things, so you order edamame in your best "I know what I'm talking about" voice in an attempt to blend in and look hip. Yeah...you're awesome.

The only reason anyone orders or attempts to eat edamame is because it's called edamame. I'll admit, it's a fun name to say. Ed Eh Mom May. It rolls off the tongue and sounds cool. Go on, say it out loud right now. Now say it like you want to say it....edamammmmehhhhhhhh. You think you're so high class, so with it.

Edamame would not be as popular if it we called it by it's real name - Boiled Soy Beans. Think about it, would you have even clicked on the link to read this blog post if I titled it Boiled Soy Beans? I doubt you would have. Boiled Soy Beans...that doesn't sound good. You don't salivate over boiled soy beans. You don't want to pay $3 for some boiled soy beans. You don't suggest to some friends you're having over to watch American Idol that you can go boil some soy beans if any one's hungry.

"Hey fellas, thanks for coming over to my Superbowl party. For an appetizer we have some boiled soy beans with a nice dose of sea salt and some Zima's chilling on the deck."

HAHA Zima. If you're a guy and you order edamame, you might as well pour yourself a nice cold Lime Zima, Nancy.

Boiled soy beans...I just paused typing to actually give a big thumbs down motion to the wife...she just sighed and went about her business not giving me another thought. She loves edamame.

Soba's Edamame:


Kanpai's Shrimp and Vegi Tempura with Edamame in the background:


Please feel free to post your comment on who has the "best edamame" in town...suckers. Like you can have the best soy beans.

"Man, have you tried the soy beans at Shoji's?"
"Nah dogg, I'm still hooked on them soy beans over at Yokos"

Might as well rate who has the best can of green beans on the shelf at Rays. Soy beans = yuk face.

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

20What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

I happen to like and enjoy edamame. I do like the flavor, I like how it feels when they pop from pod to mouth, and I like popping them out. I don't recall whether Shoji's or Yoko's has better ones, I think maybe Shoji's. Have you tried them at The Grove? They serve them with more frills than most Japanese restaurants. Don't be dissin' the soy! :)

February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love edamame! Have you even tried them? Maybe you and your wife should take a cooking class. Or is that too Nancy for you?

July 26, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

I have tried Boiled Soy Beans. I try them every time the wife gets them. I hate them. Edamame tastes like burnt chalk.

I am confused by the cooking class comment. What does attending a cooking class have to do with anything? I don't have a problem with cooking. I'm actually quite the amatuer chef.

July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

duuuude,

i love edamame so much that i am in a serious depression about the fact that now soy is supposedly bad for you, causing breast cancer, etc, etc...which is why i googled it and came upon this little site. i love edamame, it's soooo delicious and one of my favorite snacks...i was hoping to find some hard and fast proof to tell me that it's still okay to eat it. dammmmmmn.

September 22, 2007  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Have we forgotten that likes and dislikes among taste differ from person to person? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the people that do like it. It's good, its a great healthy snack...and god forbid people indulge in a snack that tastes good and is good for you. If people only eat edamame to seem cool, explain why I keep a bag in my freezer and eat it at home...ALONE...when I have no one to try and impress. Uh ohs...what theories have you got up your sleeve now? Go snack on your M&M's.

February 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberly,

Thanks for your comments. You're from California....that's my theory.

And yes, if I don't like something, then it's gross and no one should like it. First time reading my blog?

You've been BORed.

-BOR

February 22, 2008  
Blogger Arlene M. Spencer said...

Can't we all sit around the edamame bowl and shell or not shell soy beans, together? If I'm shelling and my soy bean pops over and boinks you in the head, it's all good, man. I mean no disrespect. I see it as that little bean bringing our worlds together.

(Too west coast?)

February 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ex girlfriend only liked edamame for the same trendy reasons... I just don't see how anyone really enjoys this stuff? Chocolate cake? Great... A great steak? Wonderful... Even sushi? Understandable... But edamame? It's all in the name I guess...

February 23, 2008  
Blogger Lindsay said...

BORing

April 04, 2008  
Blogger Addicted to Scrubs said...

First of all, someone is probably overcooking your young soybeans. Note that as fun as it may be to say "edamame", I am eschewing that word (as I am several other words that are also fun to say) in the interests of politeness.

To call edamame "soybeans" without specifying "young" however, is to oversimplify the case; soybeans eaten as edamame are picked before a specific stage in the life of a soybean plant.

Second, to the person worrying about cancer, that's old news and is very exaggerated. The same goes for flax and other food items that have been implicated in health issues. You can safely eat unprocessed soy in moderation, as you can anything else that has been enjoyed by any culture for thousands of years. Tofu, soymilk, yuba (boiled soymilk skin) and other delightful whole soy products, or as processed as you can make them using the resources found in the normal home kitchen, can also be safely eaten in moderation on a daily basis. More processed forms of soy, however, such as soy oil, isolated isoflavones, and isolated soy protein, should be used with more caution. Whole flax seed, ground, is good. Concentrated flax seed oil, however, may not be so good. Learn a little from sources other than mass media, then use common sense.

Third, I'm from New York City and I love boiled young soybeans. I eat them about once a week, all by myself or if friends drop by. Don't like it? "Bite" me. (I'm still eschewing fun words for the purposes of this post.)

April 06, 2008  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

"The "young" soybeans were made in NY City"

"NEW YOUR CITY!?!?!"

"Get a rope"

April 06, 2008  
Blogger Max Boltzmann said...

I like to eat edamame for health reasons. I eat them whole, for the fiber, and the fact that I'm too lazy to peel them.

Tons of protein, tons of fiber, and it is quite filling.

Sorry you don't feel the same.

April 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had some at McDonald's. They're in the Asian Salad. The salad was yummy, I really have to hand it to Mickey D with their salads. The eda... er, boiled soy beans..., really didn't have much taste, but at least they didn't have a bad taste and they were fun to chew. They go well with the salad.

April 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you folks know edamame is grown in CHINA. My days of eating that stuff are over.

April 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep - I can almost picture in my mind the person who wrote this - Larry the Cable Guy. That is okay if you were the only person in the world - arrogant A-hole. Just so happens there are other people who love to eat healthy. For someone like myself getting out of the junk food diet I was on, Etamame is a God send. Go back to eating your Pizza and McDonald's!

May 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 12 year old son loves edamame and I enjoy seeing him eat them then sit around eating a bag of potato chips!

May 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever, more edamame for me

May 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, among the other incorrect things you wrote, it's *not* pronounced that way. ya may not like it, but if you want to look cool while you're ordering it, at least learn how to say it! ;)

June 24, 2008  
Blogger Heather said...

For those who enjoy the boiled soy beans, try them at Silver Moon. They serve them with garlic and soy sauce. An interesting twist and double soy goodness!

September 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love edamame. Burnt chalk?! To me they taste like chewy peanuts. BTW, my name is Nancy and I rue the day men decided to insult each other by using my name:(

October 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home