BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

11.11.2009

Thank you Veterans!

Thank you for your service!

A while back the Wife and I were in the process of buying a house here in Bend and I needed my DD214 (a form showing my time in service and status of my discharge) so I could get a VA loan. I called the VA office and was talking to a helpful fellow who was telling me about all the other benefits I could take advantage of.

I remember saying "No no, those are for "real" vets." Meaning I didn't see any action. I served during a time of relative peace and spent my years of service in the US.

He said "Did you serve your time and receive an Honorable Discharge?" I says "Yes."

"Then you're a Vet!" he says.

"Cool"


I did some research and sure enough, he was right. But one of my favorite Definitions of a Veteran I found last night from American Legion Post 4 who is also having a a Spaghetti feed at Jake’s Diner on Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 4PM to 6PM.

A $10 donation is requested for the meal and all proceeds will go to the American Legion Post 4.

For information, please contact Richard Smith at 389-2867

The American Legion has the following posted on their site -
http://www.americanlegionpost4.com/

Definition of a Veteran

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

-- Author Unknown


I don't remember putting that in the memo line of the check I wrote but I'm damn glad that they didn't cash it.

In honor of the "real" Vets, some companies are offering discounts and/or freebies to veterans and active duty military.

-----------

"All U.S. veterans and active duty military with proof of current or former military service will eat free at all Applebee's nationwide on Veterans Day, Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009.

* Proof of service includes: U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, photograph in uniform or wearing uniform.*

For additional details, visit:
www.applebees.com/vetsday "

-----------

Free Bloomin Onion
Valid Veteran and Active Duty Identification: • U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card• U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card• Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)• Veterans Organization Card (VFW, American Legion)• Photograph in Uniform• Wearing Uniform
http://www.outback.com/companyinfo/veteransday2009.aspx

-----------

In honor of Veterans Day, as well as veterans themselves, the Oregon Film Alliance is presenting a free screening of Everyman’s War, an Oregon-made World War II film Wednesday night at the Tower Theatre.

http://www.tsweekly.com/blogs/the-blender/Free-WWII-Film-at-Bend-s-Tower-Theatre-for-Veteran-s-Day-Everyman-s-War.html

The best part about this screening, which begins at 7pm at the Tower, is that it’s completely free. Donations, however, can be made to the local Veterans Administration.

-----------

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204673395490
Pictured is the map from the Veteran's Day Parade route 2008, from the Bend Bulletin.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), armed services representatives, other participants will honor those who are serving now and those who have served in the past.

Reminders: 3 hours free parking in garage, avoid parade route before, during, after event (Newport Bridge will be closed, etc.).

-----------

Owner and Stylist of EDGE Salon told me on Facebook that they are doing $5 haircuts for veterans.
http://www.edgebarbershopandsalon.com/

-----------

Also via Facebook, Dj-kb Ultrasonic says that club Seven has "Dinner and a piano show. Prime rib or mahi mahi with yummy dessert buy one get 1/2 off 541-760-9412 for details! :-)"
http://www.sevenbend.com/SEVENBEND.html

Labels:


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

1What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am missing your posts.

November 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home