BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

11.03.2006

Kebaba - Middle Eastern Cuisine

Kebaba - Bend Oregon

Recently we made it to the new Modern Middle Eastern restaurant Kebaba on Newport across from Bend's only Sushi restaurant - Kanpai. Word on the street is that Kebaba is gooooood. Maybe I'm getting older and pickier. Maybe I'm a snob. Maybe I like my lamb kababs not to be as hard as a brick. Ok, that's a bit tough...like the Lamb was...hahaha.

I had the Lamb kebob and the wife had the Beef kebob.


One picture is good enough, they look the same. It's not even a good photo. I apologize. She said her's was ok...good. I agreed. Her's was ok. Nothing to call home about but no complaints. Mine was tough and quite dry. I was forced to dip every bite in the accompanying yogurt for some moisture. Being that Bend does not have a HUGE resource of international cuisine, I will be back and try it again. I want to like it. I really do.

Normally I don't comment on service and I try to keep my reviews to the dish that I have tried. I figure that staff comes and goes and restaurants go through make overs. But is it too hard to ask for the basics? Some of The Basics:

A clean table when you sit down. Our table was soaking wet like they forgot how to ring out the towel before applying it to the table. Our waitress noticed it just before she was about to place down the napkins and silverware. She was able to get some paper towels and wipe it off for us.

If you (the waiter/waitress) spills waters and or beverages on the table, please make an attempt to clean it up or at the very least, bring a couple extra napkins to replace the ones that we used cleaning up the spill.

Refills on water when your glass is empty. I noticed the water making it around to one section of the very tiny dining room but it didn't make it around to our even smaller section. I was asked if I wanted another beer to which of course I said "yes...and some more water please". Did I mention the lamb was dry?

When asked if you want another beverage...one comes out. These aren't crazy requests. I mean, you asked me if I wanted another beer but had to come back and verify since it had been so long and we had finished our meal.

There are other basics but I don't want you to think that Kebaba was not living up to them. Just the ones above were enough that I felt the need to mention them. Hopefully your experience will be a better one. I highly recommend the Babaganouj (even if it's just fun to say it out loud and do your best Owen Wilson from Wedding Crashers impression) and the hummus.

Both were very good and the fresh, warm pita was great. I could have sat there and eaten just that all evening...assuming I had some water or whatever to wash it down. I am probably being too harsh on Kebaba and you'll get a much happier review from anyone else. I'll try and make it back there again soon and post another review.

Kebaba (I don't know the address as of this posting, It's next to Kanpai)
NW Newport Ave
Bend, OR

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

10What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

Do they have belly dancers? :)

Is pastilla on the menu? How's the decor?

November 03, 2006  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

P.S. The address of Kebaba is 1004 NW Newport (from their liquor license).

I found some pics of it on a blog that appears to belong to one of the owners of the restaurant.

November 03, 2006  
Blogger Shannon said...

There is another sushi restaurant in town -- Yokos.

I hope they have other stuff than kebabs because I want to try it. I am hoping it's like my favorite Middle Eastern restaurant -- Jerusalem Cafe (in Kansas City)

November 03, 2006  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Thanks for the comments. Shannon - Yoko's is not good. I guess if I'm to take this blog seriously, I'll have to go back there again. I shudder at the thought. Yoko's is not good sushi.

DK - Thanks for the address! I'm intersted in seeing that blog where you got the pics. There are not belly dancers. Pastilla is not on the menu nor is Vindalu. The decor? The dining room is so small, I dont think there is room for decor. It's Middle Eastern decor I'd say.

-BOR

November 04, 2006  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

Google, baby. ;)

November 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard similar feedback about "Kebaba" from other friends. Hopefully they are just in their growing stage and will refine everything soon.

At Yoko's did you order from the kitchen or just eat off the belt? Generally it's "OK"... but I also have not been there in a long time.

There are in-store sushi chefs at both Newport Market and Wild Oats, who make good sushi as well.

November 05, 2006  
Blogger Shannon said...

Shoji's has amazing sushi .. our friends took us there and OMG, was the best. Not as good as this place in Newport we go to next to Ripley's.

November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kebaba has figured it out. Sorry some of you didn't have very good experiences, but I have been there multiple times recently and have not been disappointed. The service was actually very good and quick, the food was tasty and cheap. I can't wait to sit outside this summer and have cocktails.

April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been to Kababas three times now and agree about the unprofessional servers. However our experience with the food is quite different. We have had the falafel sandwich each time. The flavor profile is amazing; the fresh parsley in the dish makes all the difference. Skip the fries (unremarkable at best) and opt for the green salad (makes for a better presentation). As of now I have only found one place to get better falafel and that is in Eugene, OR at a small stand outside the UofO Bookstore

September 06, 2007  
Blogger L. Ottaviano said...

I tend to avoid both the salad as well as the fries. I'm not fond of either. I *am* fond of the Lamb Schwarma, which has nice sauce and veggies to temper the dryness of the meat (if any). Also, I love the Karnabeet (cauliflower in tahini sauce), as well as the hummus and babaghanouj. They also have nice things for kids to color, and I've never had issues with service. Been there about 6 times, including my birthday dinner this Summer with a large group. Would be nice if they took reservations for groups and had air conditioning or windows that opened, as we were all melting inside that evening.

September 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home