BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

9.09.2006

Bernies BBQ - CLOSED

Bernies BBQ Bend Oregon

Bernie's BBQ boasts "best BBQ in the Universe" on their menu and business cards. I'd go as far as saying that Bernie's BBQ is the Best BBQ ... on Division.

UPDATE: Bernies is no longer open for business.

I was not expecting to have to place our order at the cash register as soon as we entered so we grabbed a menu and a table and figure out what we wanted to do. Then I went up and ordered, then got our own water and drinks, extra plates, and BBQ sauces.

With me doing all the work, you'd think the prices would be lower. But then I don't feel the need to tip even though I threw a few bucks into the tip pitcher by the register.

every time I try out a new BBQ joint, I like to get the sampler if it's available. In this case I think it's a rather good deal. We could have grabbed a whole rack of ribs for $20 or get a sampling of almost everything for ten buck more.


I hope you can make out the mountain of meat before you. If not, I'll try to explain it. This big burnt blog in the bottom right is chicken. To the left of the chicken are the spare parts of the spare ribs (we think). To the right of the chicken is some pulled pork under the ribs which are also under the beef brisket. Sprinkled about the plate is some sausage. There are some fries, corn bread, coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans.

Chicken - Definitely burnt and obviously looks dried out. Surprisingly, it tastes great. The skin sucks cause it's burnt but the meat was juicy, smokey, and tender.

Ribs - I like baby back ribs, these are spare ribs with the spare section served as another portion it seems. I don't like these ribs at all. Our portion of ribs had a lot of fat and bone and very little meat. The meat that we tasted did not have much flavor to it. All of the meat is served dry (without BBQ Sauce). The do provide some good BBQ sauces (spicy and original) that you can use at will.

I love dry ribs but when I make them, I use some sort of dry rub for flavor. I'm not sure what happened but these ribs were just dry.

Pulled Pork - Ugh, this pulled pork tasted like shredded turkey jerky. Insanely dry and absolutely zero flavor. Nasty.

Brisket - Absolutely phenomenal!!! I will go back and get some more brisket. Juicy, smokey, and melt in your mouth tender. It was difficult to pick it up it was so soft.

Sausage - The sausage tasted good but it was very similar to some Hickory Farms Summer Sausage. A little too similar. It's good but I wouldn't get it unless it was added to my dish for free.

All the sides were just fine, nothing great, nothing bad. No one goes to a BBQ place for sides so it doesn't really matter if their great or not. It's hard to mess up side dishes. Oh but the crack they sprinkle on their French fries is great, get fries with your meal.

All in all, I would probably go back to Bernies for the Brisket but that's it. I can make and get chicken anywhere so that's not a big feat. But good Brisket is hard to find. If I find myself back at Bernies, I will get the brisket fo sho (that's for sure, Whitey).
Read another review of Bernie's BBQ from
the Source

Bernie's Barbeque
2650 NE Division Street
Bend, OR 97701
541.330.0227 or
541.330.0BBQ
http://www.berniesbbq.com/

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

2What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

My wife says their catfish is good. I wasn't pleased with the ribs. Baldy's is better. (duh) :)

September 09, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

I wasn't pleased with Bernie's either. It's overpriced and they seem to feature "service with a sneer". We have been there twice and won't be back.

(Oh... and they can mess up sides! I ordered collard greens there and they were horrible, no flavor.)

September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home