BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

8.15.2006

Toomies - Chicken Red Curry and Phad Thai

Bend does not seem to have any really good Thai food restaurants. There is that stand by the Jiffy Lube on Greenwood but that's hardly a restaurant. I haven't been there in a long time and probably should swing back by before I say that Bend doesn't have any good Thai food.

So like I was saying, Bend doesn't have any really good Thai food. Today I went to Toomies for lunch. I haven't been to Toomies in a long time and actually have sort of dogged on them in previous posts like this one or that one.

Since I want you to like me, I'll give you one of my tips on how to order. First off call ahead and get it to-go. Toomies has not been known for their speedy service so eating there isn't a great benefit. Secondly, ask for the salad on the side.


The Chicken Red Curry was not the special so pictured above is what I got for $5.95. I say get the salad on the side because you get more Phad Thai and rice. Otherwise they put your salad in the Styrofoam (still cracks me up that Deschutes County allows Styrofoam) container along side your hot phad Thai and hot rice. Hot + Hot + Styrofoam + Salad = sad wilted warm salad. Get it on the side and it's still cold and crisp. Plus they usually will give you more Phad Thai and rice cause there's all that left over room.

I'm a genius.



Chicken Red Curry at Toomies is pretty good. I recommend that you request it with 3 stars instead of the normal 2. It makes the chicken spicy, which is how I likes it. I dumped my curry over the white rice. It's good. Do it. Do it.

Even though I showed you how to get more Phad Thai and rice, it's not always the smartest move. I personally do not like the Phad Thai at Toomies nearly as much as I do at SOBA. A friend of mine referred to this Phad Thai as spaghetti with peanut sauce ... but not as good.

If you're going to go to Toomies for the first time and have not tried their spring rolls, get them. Do it...Do it.

Toomies Thai Restaurant
119 NW Minnesota
Bend, OR 97701
541-388-5590

http://www.empirenet.net/toomies/

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

4What? Got something to say?

Blogger Shannon said...

I LOVE the red curry. You're making me hungry for it NOW!

August 15, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

Went there for lunch today. Had the yellow chicken curry. Sauce was nice with the right amount of spice... which was a good thing because I needed a lot of it for my rice (which was COLD and suspect it was left over from yesterday).

August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I LOVE Toomie's phad thai and would agree with you that their "lunch phad thai" is not so great. The lunch is quick like you say but can you complain it's like $5.00 for lunch! Dinner there is a different pace which I prefer. So I reccommend you trying out their dinner and see if you think differently. So like I was saying I LOVE toomie's phad thai but get it during dinner or lunch but you have to get the full order (not what comes with lunch as their side dish) and ask for it thai style (it comes flavored with lime and is extra spicy) absolutely to die for!
Along with phad Thai some other great dishes to try are drunken noodle, beef basil, panang curry and their thom ka gai(coconut milk chicken soup)....all are excellent!
I would also have to dissagree with you complaining that there's no good thai food in Bend cause I LOVE TOOMIE"S!

July 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the hype. I've eaten there twice and the food was sub-par. I've had better.

December 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home