BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

11.07.2006

38 Degrees - Mediterranean Bistro and Sangria Bar

38 Degrees - Bend Oregon

If you get the opportunity to visit 38 Degrees, and you have the budget for it, definitely do so! I have had the privilege of dining here a couple times and absolutely loved it. Loyal followers (all 2 of them) know that I don't gush over every restaurant that I visit. I like to think that I call 'em like I see 'em.


The wife and I started off with the 5 taster of Sangria. I am not an expert on Sangria at all. I'm not even a novice. I like what I like and I enjoyed all 5 of them. Maybe the ones with white wine were not as good as the reds but it was fun tasting the different ones as we sampled the variety of food we ordered.

On this occasion, we had the Clams and Chorizo (below):

AWESOME! These had to be the best clams I have had...ever. The combination of the clams with the spicy Chorizo and the sauce was amazing. I loved it to say the least.

We also had the Steak Frites, the Roasted Red Potatoes, and the Prawn and Sausage Spiedini:

I don't care who you are, if you don't appreciate the combination of shrimp and pork products, just stop reading now. Shrimp wrapped in bacon, pancetta, and/or prosciutto is gold. Now at 38 Degrees, they offer Shrimp and Chorizo skewers....mmmm good.

Will someone please make a dish that consists of Prawns wrapped in prosciutto, wrapped in pancetta, beer battered, deep fried, then wrapped with a thick slice of pepper bacon. Serve with a side of gravy. OK, the gravy part might be too much. Maybe just a side of sweet chili sauce for dipping and a Baby Arugula salad. Done. If you own a restaurant or know someone that does, or if you are a Chef...make that dish and let me know, I'll be over the in five minutes.

I'm not sure if $22 for the Steak Frites was worth it but it was damn tasty. Look at all them juices! The portions are pretty small at 38 Degrees and I guess are intended for sharing. But skip that nonsense. I tried to devour as much of the steak as I could before she noticed. It didn't work.

We also tried the Za'atar Crusted Ahi which (can you guess) was amazing!

So there isn't much I can complain about the dishes or the Sangria at 38 Degrees. If anything, it is pretty expensive. The quality backs it up but I can't afford to dine there often. For me, it's probably going to end up as one of those special occasion establishments. You can view 38 Degrees Menu HERE. I definitely recommend that you should give 38 Degrees a try.

38 Degrees
745 NW Mt. Washington Drive
Bend, OR 97701
http://www.38degreesbistro.com/
541-318-8161

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

6What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not worth the money and service was terrible.

November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have eaten there about 6 times - - lunches, dinners and one wine dinner. All absolutely first rate. Taking a California Winery owner there tonight knowing it will equal anything they have in Sonoma County. Central Oregon is blessed with this piece of the Med.

April 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The food was good as you so eloquently stated in your review. But the atomosphere inside needs some work. I'm mainly talking about the lighting. Very cafeteria if you ask me.

September 27, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ordered from here last week and took it home... The food was amazing... Shrimp and Sausage skewers were great (nice and spicy sausage). Steak was very good, just a bit on the pricey side. Everything else seemed to be reasonable on price. got a great meal with too much food for 2 people and only spent $48. I would eat their food again in a heartbeat. Just have to wait till I have some more money!

October 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food and service was outstanding. Central Oregon finally has a place that serves great food and is not so noisy that I must yell at my dinner guests. 38 has a wine menu that is both rare and exquisite.

November 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's crazy busy on Friday nights and although the food and drinks are fairly good. Not enough for the price you pay. Need to expand their space so you are not sitting on top of the table next to you.

December 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home