BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

4.25.2007

Kona Mix Plate, Bend Oregon

Kona Mix Plate, Bend Oregon

Does anyone know where you can find Kal-bi ribs in Bend? I do. Kona Mix Plate located in the Reed Lane Plaza offers authentic cuisine from the Big Island. The entire crew is from Hawaii which is good if you are offering authentic Hawaiian food.

The menu is pretty confusing when you first walk in (and their
website doesn't help much either, yet) so I grabbed one of their printed menus which made it easier for me. They were more than helpful and very patient with me while I tried to make up my mind.

I decided on the Kal-Bi (Cal-bee) ribs and the Chicken Katsu. That's right I MIXED IT UP which is encouraged. Getchyur, getchyur, getchyur MIX ON! Like that mixed tape you made for that 9th grade hotty that's all chuck full of hits from Boys to Men and Fine Young Cannibals, you can add two or three of Kona's hits to one mixed plate for $8.50 and $11.50 respectfully. For some weird reason that even I can't explain, the results you get from your mix at Kona is more satisfying than when you get that "Oh, a mixed tape, uh, thanks?" response as she tosses it into her locker before heading off to Algebra 1-2. B#*ch.

HAHA ok ok, that last part was uncalled for...just jokes people. Moving on.

I started off with a Fire Rock Pale Ale from the Kona Brewing Company which apparently is huge on the Big Island. I've never been to Hawaii so I have no idea what I'm talking about when I'm ordering it.

"Duh...Is um, Kona Brewing Company associated with this restaurant" I ask thinking that Kona Mixed Plate and Kona Brewing are the same company...idiot...gosh!


I wouldn't go as far to say that it was a "Pint of Paradise" but it was a great beer that went well with my meal. It went down smooth and I wish I had time for another pint but the service was too fast...maybe next time I'll just drink faster...yeah that's smart.


With your meal you get the choice of rice or fries as well as a choice of Grandma's famous PotatoMac or a tossed green salad. Why is there a choice between PotatoMac or a freakin green salad? I'll personally smack you across the back of your neck if you choose the latter.

The wife was running late to meet me so I order for her and got the Kal-Bi ribs and Shrimp Tempura. She normally gets the Bulgogi, my bad. She didn't complain though, this junk is the bizzomb!

We devoured our perfectly prepared ribs in no time. The Chicken Katsu was light for being a deep fried piece of chicken. The PotatoMac was awesome and I don't even like potato salad or macaroni salad. I chose it cause I thought it would be cheesy like macncheese. Obviously my brain was not firing on all cylinders.

With a menu this big, I can guarantee that I will be posting a few more times on Kona Mix Plate. I can't wait to try the Chicken Teriyaki sandwich...can't say I've seen that on a menu before.

Kona Mix Plate
A taste of Hawaii in Bend! Call for Pick up - 633-7378
61470 S. Highway 97, Bend, Oregon.
Open Monday - Saturday 11am - 9pm, Closed Sundays.
http://www.konamixplate.com/

Labels: ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

21What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

If you like Hawaiian, try the new Aloha Cafe that opened recently across from El Pescador (yum!) in Sunriver.

April 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I need to comment on your photos. Maybe you are being all sneaky with a camera phone, but the pictures make all the food look, well, gross.

No photos might be better, or just make me a mix tape and I'll shut up.

April 25, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

I'll have to check it out Dave, thanks!

Monkey,

Thanks for the comment. I used to take my camera but many times I forget it or am too lazy to bring it along so the cell phone is more convenient. Even with a camera, the lighting in some places makes it difficult to get a good shot. Plus, I want to eat while it's hot.

I'll try to do better. Mixed tapes are for single fellas...and the 80's.

April 25, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Another quick note on the photos, sometimes that's what the food actually looks like. You see the photo on the menu or on their site and it looks NOTHING like that when it's on your plate. But I agree, the quality of my photos is pretty bad. I'll step it up.

-BOR

April 25, 2007  
Blogger dkgoodman said...

Check out Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality. Wish I'd thought of that! :)

April 25, 2007  
Blogger The Real Mother Hen said...

You seem to eat out a lot...

April 25, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Too much you think?

April 25, 2007  
Blogger Vivien Yap said...

Well in comparison to me, you eat out a lot... I have been here for a year, and can count the number of times I eat out with one hand. It's just too expensive to eat out. So I cook everyday... am I too strange for this place? I think so you knopw.

April 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went there last week. Beef Bulgogi! Yum!!!

April 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did not like.cashier was rude when i asked what's good. Lots of dark chicken and very greasy. not my favorite and did not like the mac salad.

May 02, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

I had a totally different experience on my first visit and have had nothing but good experiences each visit after. The cashier especially was super nice and let me know what she thought was good and what was the more popular dishes.

The potatomac is delicious. I normally wouldn't get macaroni or potato salad but there's is grubbin!

You're crazy.

May 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime my family and I eat at Kona Mix Plate the food is great and so is the staff! From the soup to the tempura to the potatoe mac, absolutely fab and fairly priced!

September 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no clue what the person is talking about the two girls at the counter being "rude"??? WTF?? The people that work at the Big Island Kona MIx Plate are the nicest people that work in the food industry in Bend!!! And the quality of food is very very good!!! Go to Hawaii and get a clue about the ALOHA sprirt!!

October 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOR-Your articles are (usually) hysterically funny AND enlightening as to the food scene around here. Thanks!!!! Loved the "mixed plate/mixed tape" LOL, I remember those well.

October 29, 2007  
Blogger Arlene M. Spencer said...

BOR,

You open your review, here, wondering where one could find Kal-bi ribs in Bend.

I wanted to share with you and your readers that Newport Market now sells (pre cut and marinated) Kal-bi ribs in their packaged meat section (usually they're in long black styrine packages between the beef and pork sections). Pricing isn't bad and really, they're delicious.

They're a nice option for a tasty home cooked meal.

October 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying for months to find some recipe that can match the potato-mac at Kona Mix Plate. It is an impossible feat...

March 07, 2008  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

I know right! Susan gets it. That potato mac is like potato crack!

There is some grubbin Mac n Cheese at the Blacksmith an the little macaroni salad at Sumi's is good too but for a potato or macaroni salad, it doesn't get better than the potato mac at Kona Mix Plate!

-BOR

March 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I know I'm a little late in reading this post, but as much as I love Hawaii and the Aloha spirit, would it hurt to have some vegetables in the restaurant? I mean, I don't even mind ordering them on the side. How 'bout just a carrot stick? Anything? Cabbage doesn't count. The food is awesome, tho' and they are some of the nicest folks in town.

March 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha, I'm writing to you about the article that you wrote on Kona Mix Plate. I'm from the Big Island of Hawaii. Kona Mix Plate is one of the most popular restaurants in Hawaii. Not only with the local people, but also the many tourist that come to our island. They opened they're first restaurant many years ago in Kona. You folks are so lucky to have this family come to Bend from Hawaii to share with you a taste of Hawaii. We know this family who owns Kona Mix Plate (personally). They are so warm and friendly. The food is great, my kids would eat there every day if I let them. The photos are bad, but the food is delicious. Don't let a few photography mishaps steer you away. By the way,the next time your in Kona Mix Plate say hi to Ricki and his Ohana (family) from his extended Ohana on the Big Island. Mahalo (thankyou)

April 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love Kona Mix Plate! We're new to Bend, but quickly discovered this little gem and have had their yummy dishes at least once a week for the past 2 months. The bulgogi is awesome, as is the mahi mahi. I just wish that they had maunapua on their menu. If they added those little steamed bun bits of heaven we'd probably be eating there every day.

July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO tAnonymous said...
I have no clue what the person is talking about the two girls at the counter being "rude"??? WTF?? The people that work at the Big Island Kona MIx Plate are the nicest people that work in the food industry in Bend!!! And the quality of food is very very good!!! Go to Hawaii and get a clue about the ALOHA sprirt!!
...................................
I for one have to agree with most of you that this is probably one of the best places to eat in Bend. They have something on the Menu for everyone, from the healthy eaters who like to eat clean organic food they have organic chicken and Veggies. I think the food is amazing and I am a BIG fan of the Kal-bi Ribs they are out of this world. I personally tried Aloha Cafe and it is pretty good but in my opinion, no where near as good as Kona Mix Plate. The people at Kona are amazingly friendly and really care about the people who come to the restaurant. I was so impressed with the service and the food that I was a regular last year. My experience with them has always been positive and they remember my name and what I like to eat...Awesome service.
Everyone from Shinobu to Ricky really take pride in their restaurant and I have never had a bad meal or experience anytime I have ever been there.
Great Job Kona and keep on smiling, Bend is lucky to have you. Please pass the Ribs and extra rice :)

March 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home