BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

4.04.2007

Outback Steakhouse, Bend OR

Outback Steakhouse

I don't know what it is but ever 6 months I get this crazy voice inside my head that keeps singing "Let's go Outback tonight, life will still be there tomorrow". I sing it in the shower in the mornings and then I know it will only be a matter of days before the voice gets angry and must have it's cravings satisfied or else I will turn into Paul Hogan...not cool Original Crocodile Dundee Hogan but more like Crocodile Dundee in LA Hogan when you're like "really, we're still making these".

"That's not a knife...THIS is a knife!" HAHAHA oh that's brilliant. Good times...GOOOD times.

What's weird about Outback is that I never really enjoy myself that much. I mean the food is what it is. IT IS WHAT IT IS!!! I LOVE that saying. It's like I give up. I got nothing of value to add to the conversation or the company meeting or chatting with my friends or I am really hung over so I'll just say "it is what it is" cause I do love the sound of my voice.

I'm just saying that the food is the consistently mediocre. I never leave there thinking that I just ate the best steak of my life. So why do I have the craving to go back there twice a year? I really don't know. They got something on me.

I think the best part of going to Outback here in Bend is dessert. No not their desserts...Coldstone right next door. It's the best. I'll give them their own post sometime soon but I have to say, I love tipping them. It cracks me up to hear the forced enthusiasm as they regurgitate a short rhyme in sing song form. SO worth whatever coins they gave me back.

Anyway, Outback is alright if you have some money to burn or just want to go somewhere familiar. I like that they give you warm bread and your salad comes our pretty quick for you to snack on while you slosh down your 26gallon Fosters (it's only a $1 more). Like I said, food is pretty consistent and portions are large.



What I can't stand about Outback, or any other place that does this really, is when the waiter or waitress sits at your table, in the booth with you, or even kneels down next to your tabel. Look pal, you're not my friend, I don't know you, back it up. If we were cool like that, your name tag would not be necessary. If you're wearing a name badge, please remain standing. You're breaking my comfort zone here. We all know our roles here, you bring food that I pay for. We aren't going to exchange emails after. Please just stand politely next to the table and ask the right questions and we'll all go about our day.

Maybe that's just me.

Outback Steakhouse
269 Se Reed Market Rd, Bend, OR
(541) 383-8104


While searching for the address of Outback, I found a great post and comment thread over at HackBend

I love the comments and the fact that Jon used the same phrase "mediocre" to describe his experience.


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

6What? Got something to say?

Blogger dkgoodman said...

I don't like that I have to order a steak medium to get it medium rare at Outback. Why don't they just follow the industry standard? That's just wrong.

On the other hand, I actually do like it when the waitress kneels down. That way I don't get a crick in my neck looking up at her.

The best thing at Outback is the Thunder from Down Under. That dessert is mighty fine. :)

We only seem to go to Outback about once a year. Why go Outback when there are so many great restaurants native to Bend?

April 04, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

So we don't see eye to eye on the waitstaff ediquette. I figured I'd be in the minority on that one. I'm a weirdo.

I agree that there are so many other restaurants native to Bend that are worth trying. And I agree about the medium rare, it's weird when you order and they explain to you what that's going to be.

"Medium Please"

"OK, that's going to be pretty bloody"

"Uh, no it should be medium"

April 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, you found my post. And here I was all set to link to it. Good man.

You know, I liked Outback when they first started here. Why'd they have to go and screw that up? Meh.

Zydeco, meantime, has the best prime rib in town. The best. And it's practically across the street-- next time channel your Outback cravings to Zydeco. :)

April 04, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Hey Jon,

When I write these reviews I avoid all other opinions until I'm done posting my two cents. Then I usually search for the address. I'm going to try to do a better job of finding other posts on restaurants after I've crafted my post.

I REALLY have to get to Zydeco soon. I've never been there...sad really.

April 05, 2007  
Anonymous Bob said...

I have to correct you about the name tags. The servers at Outback don't wear name tags and never have and I agree with dkgoodman that I prefer a waiter to be casual when taking an order. I'm not a snob so I like it when a waiter tries to reach their guest on a personal level. I think it's a great customer service technique that many restaurants just don't have. They are not beneath us so why should we care if they pull up a chair or crouch down. And all the food and ingredients at Outback are made fresh every day. I know you can't say that about most restaurants these days. Especially with the economy being the way it is. Most businesses buy cheep product and sell it at high prices. And I've never had a steak over cooked there. In fact Outback is the only steak house I've ever got a steak cooked the way it's suppose to. The problem is is that most places don't know how to cook steaks the right way. I just had to back them up on your post cause I love me some steak and Outback does it right. Especially the one in Bend! Plus the staff is warm and friendly and they remember you when you go back.

May 10, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wontbeback is more appropriate of a name. Twice now I have had a bad experience. I just got the porterhouse and the tenderloin side was so small I could have ate it in one bite. It was also not medium but medium rare. Medium is medium just as black is black and white is white. Cant beat Tumalo Feed. They cant even be compared.

June 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home