BendOregonRestaurants has moved. Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit Bend Oregon Restaurants and update your bookmarks.

2.09.2007

Kanpai Sushi and Sake Bar

Kanpai

It's not often that I get out to eat sushi in this town being that there is only one acceptable restaurant in town and it's expensive. Kanpai had a bad reputation for the wait staff and the sushi chefs being extremely rude. Customer service in general used to be horrible. The last couple times that I've been to Kanpai have been the opposite. The service has been quite good.

I'm sure everyone has their horror stories from Kanpai. I know my first time going there I almost walked out without paying. But, like I said, I've been satisfied the last couple times.

On the last visit I started off with Hot Sake. That's right I said HOT Sake. You can keep your fancy pants cold sake with the high prices and your "knowledge" of "traditional" sake. I like the cheap stuff and served hot.

Now I don't know my fancy wine's and I don't know one cold sake from the other. I know what I like and what I like gets me tossed and feels good in by big belly. I don't drink enough cold sake (or sake in general) to know one from the other. Kanpai should do a sampler and maybe I'd try em out. Until then, I'll stick with my hot sake and be plenty happy.


When I do go to Kanpai I try to get there early and during the week to take advantage of their Happy Hour Menu. Unfortunately, I have zero self control especially when I think I'm getting a deal so I still spend way too much.

The photo above and below are the only two I was able to get before it got too dark for me to take photos without using the flash. I'm lying, I took these with my cell and it doesn't have flash.


The tempura at Kanpai is good but has a really really light batter. I like a little heavier mix but it's still pretty good and you get a large selection of vegetables.

We also had the Hamachi Kama (I'm not going to pretend to say the definition but I'm pretty sure it's the cheek) which is insanely good. Get it!

And of course we had some nigiri. All good stuff but man, that bill took a toll on the old wallet. Fortunately the left overs provided enough for lunch the following day.

Anyway, if you have a chance to swing by Kanpai for some sushi or sake or both (my choice), I recommend it. Yes Shannon, I'm going to try Shoji's eventually. If you haven't been back to Kanpai since your bad experience (also Shannon, I think your post was the last one I've read where you had terrible service) I think you might be pleasantly surprised by their improvement.

Kanpai Sushi and Sake Bar
990 NW Newport Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
541-388-4636
http://www.kanpai-bend.com/

Labels: , , ,


Please help support COCAAN's Feed the Need Program by:

Reading This - Maybe
Donating Funds
Donating Food

11What? Got something to say?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly you mean Shoji's only for sushi?

Because their normal food is terrible and their service horrendous. We were just there last Saturday. My first time and definitely my last.

Dull. Uninspired. Smelly.

February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been there three times now, and I've come to the conclusion that Kanpai sucks, really. The service continues to be terrible and the food is just not that good (the California roll is particularly bland). Combine that with the crowds and the cost, and I may never go there again.

And to the little waiter guy with the beard and biggish hair - you should really try harder. You come off as a jerk who can't be bothered...both times you served us.

February 09, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

I still say the best sushi is at Sada's on Newport's Bayfront. Shoji's is where we usually go in town. We had to go to Yoko's because Shoji's was closed a few weeks ago. Yoko's slow as hell and the wait staff isn't too friendly.

Yes, that was me regarding Kanpai. We took a group of 10 there and they said to come back in 30 mins so to our surprise when we came back 20 mins later, they gave it to another group.

February 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A group of us went last weekend for the second time. It turned out to be more disappointing than the first. The wait staff, petit brunette with big attitude and again I will mention the little waiter guy with the beard and biggish hair, both horribly rude and pretty much ignored us our entire meal. The sushi was chopped into thick cubes and the rolls, pretty bland and smelly.

Shocked by our bill and horrible service, we will never return!

March 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you are going to review a restaurant you shold learn how to write correctly so that people take you seriously. That way you don't sound like some jerk going aruond taking pictures with your cell phone at restaunts. Have you ever worked in a restaurant?

June 02, 2007  
Blogger Bend Oregon Restaurants said...

Brilliant! Maybe you souhld trie spll chek next tim you insult me, dumby. I don't have an editor to review my posts. If you catch mistakes, you can let me know or better yet, just not read it.

I have worked in a restaurant, what's your point?

June 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry if Kan Pai wasn't to your liking. I have always had good service at Kan Pai.

June 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A group of us ate at Kanpai on September 21, 2007. The sushi was OK, the steak ordered was so raw to not be edible, and the service was deplorable. Noel and the rest of the wait staff seemed to care less about us. Noel also seemed to have a memory problem. He forgot drink and orders. The food was delivered in a fashion that we all were not able to eat dinner at the same time. The real kicker was the bill. The initial bill did not include a tip. When the credit card was processed, the "mandatory" tip was added to the bill. Due to the extremely poor service, and the underhanded nature in which the tip was added, I did something I have not done in over 20 years - refused to tip the wait staff. I will never go to this restaurant again.

September 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awful. Simply awful. I can't translate my anger after visiting this effing joint. If I had seen our server for long enough at a time I might remember what he looks like to beat him down like a dog in the street the next time I see him......

October 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very disturbing to see so many negative things about kanpai, I love food and restaurants, I kinda feel like there is a bit of a drama session going on with all the restaurant reviews and such, Bend is such a little village still when it comes to food and wine. I have nothing to add other than if you dont like a place, maybe dont go there, hmm?

Be well and eat hearty

March 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ate Kanpai on sunday. I know fish on sunday. Whatever. I would have to agree with most of the comments. It took an hour to get our drinks, and another 15 minutes to get our Nigiri and another 15 to get any of our 4 rolls we order. All the while a table of saposed friends of the wait staff were served about 5 beers and neumerous plates of sushi before we had anything. The Nigiri when it finaly arrived was a sorry portion. Like half size of under seasoned rice and a pinky sized poorly sliced (i'll give credit to the fish) portion of fish. The rolls arrived and at first glance they looked nice, fresh, moist and tight. On second look they were like half slices. Pencil thin rolls. and then there was the taste. Non existant. Once again,under seasond rice and fish. Nope not going here again. Missed the mark on almost every catigory. 1 out of 5 stars.

August 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home